Vegetarian Meatloaf {Recipe}

Being vegetarian, I am constantly trying to find or create recipes that will satisfy my meat-eating family.  Husband flat-out refuses to eat tofu, and we won’t even talk about the ill-fated polenta incident.  The food I make has to look “normal” and taste good.  Chili, tacos, spaghetti…unadventurous as they may be, the closer my meals come to good old fashioned “comfort food,” the better they are received.

Vegetarian Meatloaf is something I have making for years.  It is extremely filling, has less than half the calories of regular meatloaf, and tastes delicious.

It is always a huge hit in my house.

And it is fun (and super easy) to make.  There aren’t a lot of recipes that are toddler-friendly, but this one is pretty foolproof.

Even better, it is made from all the ingredients that I normally keep on hand.

Vegetarian Meatloaf

2 packages vegetable protein crumbles (like Boca or Morningstar)
2 small or 1 medium onion, chopped
2/3 – 1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Step 1: Pour the vegetarian protein crumbles into a bowl.  They can still be frozen, but beat the bag against the counter before opening to get rid of any large chunks.

Step 2: Add chopped onion and crushed garlic

Step 3: Add spices.  These can be adjusted to taste or to the whims of your kids if you have “helpers.”  This version turned out extra peppery, which in our case was fine because we all love pepper.  Blend ingredients.  Try not to scatter tiny frozen protein pieces all over the floor (unless you have a dog, in which case, no biggie.)

Step 4:  Add milk, eggs, & Worcestshire.   Blend well, then add bread crumbs and mix together.  Use enough bread crumbs to make the mixture hold together.

Step 5: Spray loaf pan with cooking spray; press mixture into pan, patting down firmly.  Cover with foil and refrigerate 1-2 hours (or overnight), then bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 90 minutes.

Step 6: To make topping, mix together ketchup with brown sugar, dry mustard, salt, & pepper.

(If you look closely, you will notice that Princess has made a wardrobe change, something that happens about 20 times a day in our house.  To moms of girls, tell me, is this normal?  How long does that phase last?)

Step 7: After the meatloaf has cooked for 60 minutes, remove foil and spread ketchup mixture over top.  Return to oven for remaining 30 minutes.

Step 8: Round up some other stockpile staples (in this case frozen peas and scalloped potatoes) to round out your meal and wait for the compliments to roll on in.

Happy cooking!

• Olenka January 29,

Looks yummy!! As for the clothes changing! Lauren is now 9 and still does it!! 80)

• Crystal L. (Crafting & Rambling) January 31,

The recipe looks very flavorful – thanks for sharing! :)

• Beverly F May 19,

I was so excited to find your website! I am big into couponing and stockpiling for both emergency preparedness and frugality. I am also (basically) a vegetarian. I don’t usually find this double threat in other people. I made your chili with extra beans and without crumbles and my husband went CRAZY! I am making the meatloaf today and can’t wait to see how it tastes! Thank you for your hard work.

• Ruth May 20,

I’m glad you liked the chili. Let me know what you think of the meatloaf!

• Margaret August 26,

Ruth,

I am so glad my daughter and I stumbled across your web-site. We love it, and loved your meatloaf recipe! I am also a vegatrian, so I was simply thrilled that you were. Loved to see all your vegetarian recipes. The eggplant sandwich is to die for. I, like you, had to have it several days in a row.
    Yestereday, when I was about to make my version of vegi meatloaf, I didn’t have barbecue sauce on hand, one of the ingredients. Before your blog, I would have ran to the store and bought it at regular price, NO MORE! Instead I used my stock pile ingredients and imprivised, using your recipe. It turned out great, and every one loved it :) I will definitely make it again.

• Justine January 19,

Im glad I found this! I’ve Ben looking for a good vegetarian meatloaf to make! I did have one question though, did you know Worcestshire has anchovies in it? I don’t use it because of that. But there are options out there that don’t use it, usually organic.

• Sunshine Limanni January 26,

I’m going to try this. Our family is vegetarian, so I always like new things to add into our meal rotation.
    However, I’d like to mention that Worcestershire Sauce is NOT vegetarian. It contains fish. You can make your own (google the recipe) – which I didn’t want to do, or if you can probably find it at a natural food store. Possibly Whole Foods or maybe a Trader Joe’s.
    just fyi :)

• Ruth January 28,

Sunshine, at the time I posted this recipe I was totally unaware that Worcestershire Sauce contains fish! I am sometimes a “bad” vegetarian because I don’t get too worked up about that kind of stuff, but I have since been educated on the details! :-) I’d love to hear how your family enjoyed the recipe! Thanks so much for your comment!

• Chloe Holmes April 25,

Do you know what the measurements or ounces are for how much veggie crumbles you used? I can only find one type of crumbles that aren’t either of the two you recommended.

• Maren February 26,

Last night I made this for the first time and it was a hit! The sauce on top was a bit spicier than I expected, but my meat-eating husband loved it. I used vegan Worcestershire sauce from our local co-op. Thanks, Ruth, for the recipe. I love your blog and website!

• Crystal April 10,

Our teenage daughter decided she wanted to be vegetarian. We have 4 kids and the rest of us are not vegetarian but I felt like I really wanted to encourage her to eat better. I figured it wouldn’t kill us to try it. I am happy to say that is was really good. I may always serve it this way. Thanks for the recipe.