Diet Soda Flag Cupcakes {Recipe}

It has been almost two weeks since I started this Weight Watchers® thing, and I can honestly tell you that this is the first diet I have ever tried that hasn’t made me crazy.  I don’t feel deprived in the least, it is flexible, easy to stick to, and, best of all, I’ve lost weight.  Woo hoo!

Every Fourth of July Princess and I make a Flag Cake.  I couldn’t bear the thought of giving up our tradition just for the sake of a little diet, but at the same time, even with a diet that has proven easy to stick to, I knew I’d be powerless to resist chocolate cake with homemade cream cheese buttercream frosting.

A few years ago a friend told me about a diet-friendly trick for making cake, where you substitute the eggs and oil for a can of diet soda.  Though it doesn’t seem like that could possibly work, I swear it not only works, it tastes just as good as regular cake.  There’s really no recipe to follow, just take a box of cake mix and a can of diet soda, mix it together, & bake as directed.  It is even easier than baking a regular cake!

We usually just make our flag cake in a 9×13 pan, but Princess saw the mini flags & patriotic baking cups leftover from last year and really wanted to make cupcakes, so we improvised just a little.  After the cupcakes were finished baking, we packed them into a flag-shaped tray, (You could just use a rectangle plate or pan), and set them aside to cool.

After an hour or so, we spread the Cool Whip over all the tops, letting it squish in between the cupcakes, so that it made one solid surface.  The girls then decorated the top with blueberries & strawberries to make it look like an American flag.

The box makes about 20 cupcakes.  Each cupcake only has 130 calories, 3 g. fat, 23 g. carbs, 0 g. fiber, 1 g. protein, but is still tasty enough to satisfy a 2 & 4 year old (not to mention one very sweet-toothed mommy!)

Have a wonderful, fun-filled holiday weekend!

~affiliate links used~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

• Melissa July 2,

Does the soda replace the water too? This is great, we were 1 egg short last week and my daughter went to ask the neighbors and they weren’t home. I found a substitution for the egg which consisted of baking soda, oil and warm water. It worked fine. If I had to use this in place of all 3 eggs I probably would have been sceptical. Happy 4th!

• Ruth July 2,

Yep, just a can of soda and a box of cake mix. No water necessary. I used Pillsbury because that was what was on sale this week at Publix. :-)

• Alisha July 2,

That is crazy awesome!! I can NOT wait to give it a try!!

• Ruth July 2,

You can do any flavor but if you do a light color like vanilla you might want to use diet sprite instead. :-)

• Becky Dukes July 2,

Do you add the entire can?

• Ruth July 2,

We did, yes.

• Cheryl July 2,

How perfect! Love the cupcake papers, too. I love your photo essays–you do such an amazing job.

• Ruth July 2,

Thanks Cheryl!

• Jessica @ These Are The Days July 2,

I love flag cakes, never make the cupcake kind or diet soda…so cute. Your girls are adorable, love the collages. Hope you’re having a fun summer! xoxo, Jess

• Shaina July 2,

Can you use regular soda, or is there something in the diet?

• Suzana July 2,

your girls are so cute! :] love the matching outfits and my favorite is in the 2nd section, top right corner. adorable!

• sarina July 3,

WW is so great. Thanks for the recipe. Definitely going to try this one.

• Nicole July 3,

You have no idea how exciting it was to read this post Ruth. I have an almost two year old that has an egg allergy and I have trying to figure out how I was going to make her a cake for her birthday.I am so glad you shared this.Thank you very much and have a great 4th of July.

• Avril July 3,

You are so creative!!! where do you find the time to do it all? Great Job.

• Zsa Zsa July 5,

Awww sweet! Love cupcakes and these look absolutely delish! Belated happy 4th of July! :)

• shauna reed July 6,

wow! three amazing things rolled into one! diet coke(my love) cupcakes and america….HOW can you go wrong??? thanks for sharing!

• Jami July 6,

What a great recipe! Beautiful pictures !

• Libby July 7,

white cake mix and diet orange soda is delish!

• Karen in NC July 11,

Made this over the weekend with my 2YO son, and it was terrific! My husband is taking the remainders to his office today (filled with picky women, so I can’t wait to hear what they think). Finally something where we can safely lick the bowl too! They turned out so moist and delicious that we will be doing this again! I’ll also have them as an option at his birthday party in a few months.

Ruth, it looks like you used regular cool whip instead of fat-free. Did you include that in your numbers for the calories, because I came up with only 3 points per cupcake. Wow!!

• Anonymous March 11,

Nutrition-wise, you’re MUCH better off eating eggs, than diet-soda. I know that soda is extremely hard to give up, but let’s not consume more of it by adding it to our food too. For egg allergies, you can use flax seed (again, much healthier). I’m not sure how to sub the flax, but many do it on a regular basis when baking and I’m sure you can google it. I don’t mean to sound negative, but I just wanted to promote real vs. processed food for our bodies. I believe you’ll feel better and be healthier in the long run. Anyway, I enjoy this blog and a lot of your ideas, but of course no two people agree on everything.