Cute as a Button Baby Shower

This past weekend I had the great privilege of hosting a baby shower for my precious new goddaughter Lydia, who was born on April 30th.  It was such a fun party to throw!

Party details:

• The adorable invitations were designed by the lovely Heather Moritz of Moritz Fine Designs, (who has also designed all 4 of my websites.)  She was inspired by a design I found on Etsy, and rather than having them printed, she just sent me the digital file and I printed them at home, which helped us get them out sooner and kept costs down.
  • As always, there were lots & lots of fun DiY projects for the decorations and favors.  Luckily for this party, which was planned in only 3 weeks, I had 3 amazing co-hostesses, Angie, Kasey, & Katherine, who were invaluable in helping to get everything done, bringing food, & making sure the party went smoothly.  I definitely could NOT have pulled it off without them!
  • As the theme would suggest, there were buttons everywhere!  I purchased several large variety value packs from JoAnn’s, using 50% off coupons for each one.  I also found some vintage spools on ebay for less than $10, so those were used as both decoration and to hold the food tags.
  • The flowers were very easy.  We picked up 2 bunches of roses at Publix (which were on sale because of Mother’s Day), then simply divided them among 5 mason jars.
  • The button monogram was inspired by a project I found on Pinterest, which came from Spearmint Baby.  I did mine a little differently, printing the background instead of hand-drawing it, so that I could include Baby Lydia’s birth statistics underneath.  It did double duty as decoration and as my gift.
  • The brunch was definitely a team effort, with each of the co-hostesses sharing the cooking duties.  It was all delicious!  The menu included an assortment of vegetarian quiche, baked french toast, a Tuscan breakfast casserole, spinach-strawberry salad, fruit salad, & lemon yogurt muffins.  Drinks included homemade lemonade (using the lemon juice from our own lemon tree), blackberry-mint iced tea, & coffee.
  • All of the desserts for the table were homemade.  I was most nervous about the ruffle cake, a Martha Stewart creation, but then I found this awesome You Tube tutorial that I watched about 6 times in a row, and it was surprisingly doable.  In fact, it was so much fun to do that I am planning a pink version for Trouble’s Cake Party coming up in a couple weeks.  The yellow cake had layers of lemon & lime cake with a lemon cream cheese buttercream frosting, while the ruffle cake was vanilla cake with raspberry cream cheese filling and Martha Stewart’s Swiss Meringue Buttercream.
And finally, since I took almost no pictures of actual people during the shower (but about a gazillion of that ruffle cake), and I know you’re just dying to see her, here is the beautiful guest of honor at just 24 hours old.
She really is cute as a button, isn’t she? ;-)

• Jane May 15,

Oh my gosh, she is so precious! I love, love, love all the buttons! That button monogram is adorable. Great job!

• Ashley May 15,

You did an INCREDIBLE job (not that you’re even capable of doing anything less)!! You are so talented, everything turned out beautifully from the decorations to the food and of course the excellent photography. I’m reserving you for my next baby shower. I might be 900 miles away but it’s totally worth the drive! :)

• Alisha May 15,

What a beautiful shower for a beautiful baby! I am in love with that theme…but I would NEVER be able to pull it together with all the tiny details that you thought of to make it so perfect…the spool tags, the button napkin rings…I swear, you are the most talented and creative person I know! And that button monogram is amazing…love it all!!

• Sandra May 15,

Oh my that is one lucky baby! Everything is simply beautiful. Well done. Both those cakes look amazing and delicious. I’m drooling!

• Sandra May 15,

P.S. Congratulations on your new goddaughter! You are right, she really is as cute as a button. :-)

• Sarah Kimmel {Tech4Moms} May 15,

So adorable!

• Katie C. May 15,

Wow wow wow wow WOW! I always love seeing your parties and I think they just keep getting better and better! I don’t know how you’ll top this one but I can’t wait to see how Trouble’s cake party turns out. Those cakes look yummy!

• Heather May 15,

I love the ruffle cake! Very cute party!

• Susan May 15,

I am just amazed you did all that in three weeks, even with help from your co-hostesses. Really, really lovely.

• Jada May 15,

What a lovely theme and everything looked wonderful- especially with having planned in only 3 weeks. I just helped throw a baby shower for my sister (whose name is Lydia too) a few weeks ago and I can’t imagine having done it in such short amount of time. And your little guest of honor is just precious.

• NettynDayton May 16,

Totally beautiful Ruth!

• Mothering From Scratch May 18,

It is lovely to see someone with the talent of party giving use it to bless so many people! You are a shining example of how hospitality truly allows us to show our friends, family and strangers love through service. Thank you for the information on the party details!

• Debbie May 20,

Amazing baby shower ideas. How did you make the button soap, and were there other shower favors? Alos, how do you make the labels for everything?

• Mazzi Peled July 13,

Beautiful party, i love the “cute as a button” theme..
    Here are some soap button soaps that will be great as favors for a baby shower

• BLOG LINK March 30,

Post writing is also a fun, if you be familiar with afterward you
    can write if not it is difficult to write.

• Drive Heavy Traffic To YOur Site With Yahoo Answers April 8,

Yahoo Answers are loved by Google and many of the Yahoo Answers are sitting on high ranking especially for some highly competitive keywords. You can’t even imagine what effect can Yahoo Answers provide to the traffic of your site. Don’t wait and learn more about this at http://yanswertraffic.com/

• Tammy July 12,

I love the spindles holding the food tags! How did you make those? Thanks!

• umeshkr May 7,

amazing ideas,,,,,,,,,,,

visit our site for more gifts http://www.babybuurman.com/

• Billie May 30,

Wow, fantastic blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?

you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is fantastic, let alone the
    content!