Free Halloween Costumes {Day 17}

31 Days of Living Well & Spending Zero.  Freeze your spending.  Change Your Life.  Awesome way to reset your spending patterns or kick-start your budget!

This is the seventeenth day of my 31 Days of Living Well & Spending Zero challenge.  To read all the posts in order, start with Day One or visit the Overview Page.

Can you believe Halloween is only two weeks away?  Now none of you mentioned it out loud when I first brought up this 31 days challenge last month, but I know at least a few of you were thinking “Spending freeze?  In October?  Yeah right!  What about HALLOWEEN?” Or something like that.

But I promise I didn’t forget about Halloween.  In fact, the girls and I have been working on ideas for this post for weeks!  Because let me tell ya, it isn’t always easy to get a 3 and 6 year old to repeatedly cooperate with getting dressed up and posing for pictures…..especially when you are all out of bribes Lifesavers and unable to purchase more because of said spending freeze.

They were such troopers.

My goal was to come up with as many FREE Halloween costumes as we could possibly think of, using ONLY the things we had at home.  I must say, though, if you have to buy something, let it be this face painting kit.  I bought ours more than 3 years ago and we have used it for countless costumes, birthday parties, play dates, & church events since and it is still going strong.  It is by far the best $17 I have ever spent.

Along the way I came up with six tips that will hopefully help you come up with some free costume ideas of your own, since obviously the things I have laying around my house might not be what you have lying around yours.

1.  Raid your kids’ closet

Even “regular” clothes can turn into a costume when you mix them up in a silly way or add different accessories.  Most kids have at least a few colorful or eccentric pieces to choose from.  Between the clothes in their closet and the box of hand-me-downs in the attic that I am still waiting for Trouble to grow into, I found enough costume-worthy elements for a Movie Star, Rock Star, & Harriet the Spy.

2.  Check the dress up bin

Most kids love to play dress up so chances are you’ve already got a stash of ready-made Halloween costumes ready to go.  Pair a playtime fire hat with a few other accessories (in this case old boots spray-painted black and a faux fireman’s coat) for a quick & easy fireman’s costume, or pair a red princess dress with a red coat or cape & a basket for a darling Little Red Riding hood ensemble.  And if you’ve got a little girl ages 3-8, chances are they probably want to be a princess anyway!

3. Use your sports gear

My girly girls are into dance & gymnastics so leotards & tutus are the only sports gear we’ve got at home.  However most little boys would be perfectly content wearing their football, baseball, or soccer gear & dressing up like a sports star.

4.  Think outside the box

Husband and I needed to dress up earlier this month for an early grown-ups-only Halloween party with friends.   Since our clothes are pretty boring and we don’t have a dress up bin, we had to be a little more creative.  We decided to “think outside the box” and go with something that could keep people guessing.  I’ll give you a hint:  our costume themes are related.  Any guesses?

5.  Recycle Old Costumes

Who says you can’t re-use an old costume?  Too-small costumes can be given new life with leggings or other accessories, or consider trading last year’s costumes with another family.

6. Sew something

You do NOT have to be an expert seamstress to make a Halloween costume.  In fact it really only has to look good for one night (or one picture, if we’re being honest with ourselves!)  If sewing is too hard, then try hot glue or safety pins or even staples.  It’s one night!

For Trouble’s super hero cape, I literally just sewed two pieces of scrap fabric together, then sewed a ribbon to it.  It took all of 10 minutes, if that, and required sewing nothing more than a straight line.  The ninja costume was one I whipped up for a Ninjago-themed birthday party a few months ago.  I made 2 of them in less than an hour–hardly quality craftsmanship, but good enough!  (It was a ninja princess costume because a skirt was easier to make than pants)  Princess’ Bumble Bee costume, which I actually made last year, was only very slightly more effort.  (Get the full Bumblebee Costume tutorial here.)

Of course sometimes the costume you sew ends up something like this one, in which case you can just let people try and guess.  Any ideas what Trouble is supposed to be here? :-)

These were all the costumes we managed to get pictures of before the girls finally flat out refused to help me anymore, but there were several more on my list, including:

• Fairy (dress up dress + butterfly wings + face paint)
  • Black Cat (black leotard + black tights + face paint + handmade ears & tail)
  • Robot (assorted boxes covered with tin foil)
  • Balloon Bouquet (black leotard + black tights + balloons attached all over body)
  • Ghost (white sheet with holes for eyes–classic!)
  • Pirate (pirate-y clothes + eye patch + bandana)
  • Lumberjack (flannel shirt + jeans + suspenders + fake beard)
  • Reporter (trench coat + fedora with “press” card inserted in brim + notebook & fake camera)
  • Paper Doll (paper doll “dress” with tabs made out of cardboard)
And finally, the girls & I thought it would be fun to let y’all vote on what costumes they should wear for Halloween this year.  Please let us know in the comments below which costume for each of them you like the best!

Do you normally choose homemade or store-bought costumes?  What are your kids going to be for Halloween this year?  What’s the most creative homemade costume you’ve seen?

{Go to Day 18}

• Amanda October 17,

Trouble is so hilarious! Is she a green Smurf? My vote is Super Trouble and Bumblebee. Thanks for the great ideas!

• Sarah L. October 17,

I like the spy and movie star. :-) Great tips. Your kids are so cute!

• Denise October 17,

Oh my gosh Ruth, these are SO awesome! I love them all! That green one is so funny. Is she a pickle? It is hard to pick but I really like the spy and the ballet costume one.

• Heather October 17,

I was wondering what you were going to do for Halloween this year. I love the movie star & super trouble. Thanks for the great tips. Due to circumstances beyond my control I haven’t been able to follow this challenge all the way but I have really enjoyed all the posts so far. I think I will give it another shot in January!

• Alisha October 17,

How are you EVER going to choose? Oh my goodness…all so cute! Although Trouble does look particularly cute as a Rock Star and Princess makes a fabulous butterfly. But really, any of them will be a hit!

• Sam October 17,

I like the movie star and the spy:) Is trouble a book worm? So CUTE!

• Faith October 17,

Trouble is a book worm! I think Trouble should wear the Litte Red Riding Hood costume, and Princess should wear either the movie star or butterfly!

• Carol October 17,

I like Little Red Riding Hood for Trouble and the ballerina or bumblebee for Princess

• Claire ~ alittleClaireification.com October 17,

I like the bookworm and the bumblebee!!! So cute!!

• Melissa N October 17,

I love Red Riding Hood and the Butterfly. We have fun with seeing what we have on hand and then thrift shop for costumes. This year is the least $$ spent, found a cute dress that will totally work for a fairy dress for only $2 (bought back in Sept at thrift shop) we already have the pink wings, sparkle spray and wand. Yeah for the budget! I love all your ideas!

• Bethany October 17,

Little Red Riding Hood and the Movie Star! :)

• Andrea October 20,

I totally agree, Little Red Riding Hood and the movie star!

• Jenny October 17,

Oh my goodness – Princess has to be that Movie Star. I love the pose! And only Trouble can pull off the “Super Trouble” look!

• Dawn October 17,

Little Red Riding Hood and Movie Star!!

• greenstrivings October 18,

Oh, I thought she was Elphaba from Wicked. Bookworm is much more clever!

#1Child at age 5 made a pirate costume; at age 7, a “paper bag monster” costume from Trader Joe’s bags and staples. Awesome!

This year we went to Goodwill to check out costumes (not having signed onto the spending freeze, haha). #1Child is putting together a zombie costume from things found there; #2Child picked out a cheerleading outfit, but today announced, “I want to be a fairy!” “Are you going to wear the fairy outfit we already have?” I inquired. “YES!” was the happy answer — so, as you point out, shopping in our own closet/dressup bin. I will keep the cheerleader outfit in case there’s another change of heart. Also, with several Halloween events to go to between home/school/city events, sometimes costume fatigue sets in and they want to mix it up. It will be nice to have a backup.

And I got a package of face painting crayons for a dollar at a rummage sale last week. Those will come in handy.

• Amber May 22,

Very cute costumes!

• kik messenger for pc July 10,

Asking questions are really good thing if you are
    not understanding anything fully, however this post gives nice understanding yet.

• Leah July 11,

That is a great tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Simple but very accurate information… Many thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read article!

• http://southbaylo.edu/xe/?document_srl=1424 August 3,

Wow, this piece of writing is pleasant, my younger sister is analyzing these kinds of things, so I am going to inform her.

• Anonymous January 12,

I saw a Traveling Gnome. Great stuff. Always enjoy your pieces. The one about taking away your kids toys and their playing happier and more creatively I thought about, and made changes consciously and unconsciously and saw the difference in my kids, thanks. Totally changed my perspective about toys. Going to do this challenge. My help reset my ADDness.

• Mel April 18,

The quality of the coffee will greater than make up to the
    extra money spent. After washing the inside,
    detach the removable parts with the coffee brewer after which rinse all things in soapy water.
    Coffee names may be the same from manufacturer to manufacturer,
    but the tastes are not.

• Nestor April 26,

I go to college in Canada and we just now are learning about this in class.
    Thanks for helping me with the final part of my report.

• criminal case cheats April 30,

We are a group of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community.
    Your web site provided us with helpful helpful information
    and work on . You made ​​an impressive process and our all
    the neighborhood will thankful to you .
    Definitely believe that you said . Your favorite justification seemed to
    be at the web simple factor to be aware of .

I tell you , i certainly annoyed at the same time while
    others folks think worries clear that just do not recognize about .
    You controlled and out on all managed to hit the nail on the top
    no need side-effects , other folks could take a signal.
    Will probably be again to get more. Thanks

• garden gnome May 14,

Wow, this paragraph is pleasant, my younger sister is analyzing these kinds of things, thus I am going to tell her.

• Manual May 19,

Hi, this weekend is fastidious in support of me, because this occasion i
    am reading this great informative artgicle here at my residence.

• toppik hair building fibers stores May 30,

Body scrubs are one of the easiest homemade beauty products to make.

Vitamin E is particularly beneficial, promoting healing, good blood circulation, and fortified capillary walls.
    It becomes difficult to treat these scars and therefore acne must be treated with the help of oral drugs and
    topical creams and lotions.

• Mold remediation source July 28,

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely
    fantastic. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly
    like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it.
    You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise.
    I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a terrific site.