DiY Chalkboard Coaster Set

DIY Chalkboard Coasters

Can you tell we have been feeling a little crafty around here lately?  The girls and I have been working on so many projects that I hardly know where to start, but I figured I better get going on sharing some of our gift ideas so that y’all can get started on them too!

These fun chalkboard coasters might be one of my most favorite projects ever–I just love how cute they turned out!  We have already started making more so that we can keep a set for ourselves.  They are a great project for the kids to help with because they are so easy, but they are one of those projects that require a few minutes at a time, followed by lots of drying time.  Be sure to give yourself at least 3 or 4 days to get them done!

I used some Martha Stewart chalkboard paint that I already had on hand from when I did this rotating artwork display gallery wall.  It works on all surfaces so it is a good choice.  A small bottle goes a LONG way!  The buttons I used were leftover from the cute as a button baby shower I threw for my goddaughter in May.  JoAnn’s has a 1 pound bulk pack of assorted buttons for around $6–use a coupon to get it for half off!  For this project you could also skip the buttons or just buy a small pack of the color you wanted to use.

Here is what you will need:

plain 4×4″ tiles
chalkboard paint
paint brushes
buttons
felt
tacky glue (or hot glue)
chalk
ribbon & gift tag for packaging

Start by painting the front and sides of tiles with a thin layer of chalkboard paint.  I let the girls paint them, then I smoothed out the paint and touched up any spots they had missed.

Don’t worry if it doesn’t cover on the first coat.  You will need at least 3 coats of paint.  Let dry at least 3 hours or so between coats.

After your final coat of paint, let tiles dry completely so that paint can cure–at least 24 hours.

Next you will need to season your little chalkboards by using the long side of a piece of chalk to cover them completely.  When I did my chalkboard for the gallery wall I didn’t know about this step, but then I read Ashley Ann’s chalkboard wall post a few weeks ago and discovered why it is so important!

Wipe the chalkboards clean with a dry paper towel; if they seem too dusty you can wet it just a little.

Select your buttons.  The girls had a blast with this step–mommy’s buttons are usually off limits.  We decided to put one button on each corner, and to do each tile with just one color.  I instructed them to look for flat buttons that were small-to-medium in size.

Lay out the buttons how you want them to look on the tiles, then glue in place.  We used tacky glue so that the girls could do it themselves, but hot glue would probably work too and dries a LOT faster.  The tacky glue takes forever to dry!

Let the glue on the buttons dry completely (at least 24 hours for the tacky glue.)

Using a tile as a size guide, cut out squares of felt then glue to the backs of the tile.  Let dry completely–be sure to keep the chalkboard side down and the felt side up while they are drying or it will take a lot longer.  You know they are dry when no condensation forms on the tiles when you stack them.

Once the coasters are completely dry, stack 4 together then tie with a pretty ribbon, gift tag, and piece of chalk.   You’ve now got the perfect gift for just about anyone.

But be sure to make extras…..you’ll probably want to keep a set for yourself!

Great tutorial for making handmade chalkboard coasters out of inexpensive tiles.  Awesome project for kids to help with--would make the perfect gift for a teacher!

Who would you give one to?

Are you making any handmade gifts this year?  What projects are you working on?

• Michelle December 5,

Love this idea!

• Ruth December 7,

Thanks Michelle!

• Amanda December 5,

Love love LOVE! I can’t wait to make some!

• Ruth December 7,

Thanks Amanda! Let me know how they turn out! :-)

• Gail December 5,

These are really cute. I don’t know where you find the time to do all these crafts but I am loving all the ideas!

• Ruth December 7,

Oh Gail, I just ignore all the other things I have to do all day! :-)

• Alisha December 5,

I love this idea! This looks like a craft that even *I* could do! ;)

• Ruth December 7,

Yes you could, it is super easy! :-)

• Ashley December 5,

These are adorable! I happened to make some last week (sans buttons). My husband put his cold drink on it and the sweat lifted the chalkboard paint off the tile. I was wondering if you’ve had this problem and if not what you may have done differently. Thanks!

• Ruth December 7,

I have not had this problem with the ones I made for ourselves–I’ve used them several times with iced drinks with no issues. Did you use this particular paint–the Martha Stewart brand? It says it is for all surfaces, including glass and ceramic.

• Ruth December 7,

Also, allowing sufficient time for the paint to “cure” and then seasoning it is really important too!

• Sarah C December 7,

Hi There,
    Was trying to make these and am having a hard time finding unglazed 4×4 tiles…did you use unglazed or glazed? Any problems so far?

• Ruth December 7,

I just used the cheapo standard white glazed tiles at Home Depot. We’ve used them several times so far with no issues! :-)

• Sarah {20 State} December 12,

I’m crushing on chalkboard paint right now and these are fanastic. I made chalkboard trivets a while back and found with the liquid chalk pen and as you said, letting it all dry and cure, they handle moisture really well. Love using what you have.

• Melissa December 3,

Made these with my kids over thanksgiving…they really had fun with it and it turned out great! Thanks for the idea.

• Nicole December 4,

For the felt on the back could you use fleece instead? I really love this idea and I have a bunch of fleece from another project and wasn’t sure if it would work the same or if the felt is a better choice.

• Ruth Soukup December 5,

I don’t see why you couldn’t!

• Robin December 9,

Did you use/do anything to prep the glazed tiles? Did you sand or use a primer?
    Thanks. I’m hoping to make some of these for Christmas gifts! :)

• Anonymous December 18,

In the middle of making them now! I’m so excited

• Kate December 21,

I’m in the UK & have used regular blackboard paint on glossed tiles. The first coat went on amazingly well, I left 3 hours between the next coat. But on the second coat the paint all cracked & smudged & they are not usable at all. The brush was a little wet from having washed it after the first coat, could that be the issue? I was so excited & now I’m a bit sad :-(

• www.youtube.com April 14,

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all folks you
    really understand what you are talking about!
    Bookmarked. Please additionally consult with my web site =).

We may have a hyperlink exchange agreement among us