30 Minute Corn & Black Bean Chili {Recipe}

30 Minute Corn & Black Bean Chili--The BEST black bean chili recipe!  So easy to make & SO good!This is hands down my favorite chili recipe ever!  Not only is it super easy, coming together in less than 30 minutes, it uses mostly basic pantry staples which makes it super thrifty too.  The key to the super fresh flavor is the green verde chili, so don’t skip that part!

As usual, I used vegetarian protein crumbles instead of ground beef, but those of you who prefer REAL meat could substitute a pound of ground beef or turkey instead.  Although I personally prefer things a little spicier, I make this version fairly mild so that it is still kid friendly.  (My kids absolutely love this recipe!)  For more of a kick, you can add hot chiles, fresh jalepeno, and extra hot chili powder.

30 minute corn & black bean chili

Here is what you need:

3-4 tablespoons butter
1 sweet onion
1 package vegetarian protein crumbles (such as Morningstar or Boca brand) (or 1 pound ground beef)
2 15oz cans black beans
1 15oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1 15oz can low sodium corn kernels, undrained
1 4oz can diced green chiles, undrained
1 16oz jar salsa verde (the green kind)
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
sour cream
fresh cilantro
cooked rice (optional)

30 minute corn & black bean chili

Step 1:  Dice onions.  Melt butter in large pot over medium heat.  Saute onions until soft, about 5 minutes.

30 minute corn & black bean chili

Step 2:  Add vegetarian protein crumbles (or ground beef); cook until browned, 5-7 minutes more.  Reduce heat to medium low.

30 minute corn & black bean chili

Step 3: Rinse & drain black beans

30 minute corn & black bean chili

Step 4: Add tomatoes, corn, green chiles, salsa, & black beans to pot; mix well.  Add chili powder.  Bring just to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

30 minute corn & black bean chili

Step 5: Chop cilantro.  Serve chili in bowl topped with sour cream, cilantro, & rice (optional).

30 minute corn & black bean chili

What are you planning to make for Cinco de Mayo?

• Aimilee May 1,

I looooooooooooove black bean chili!!!!!!! This version looks delicious with the green salsa and cilantro. Can’t wait to try it! Thanks Ruth!!!

• Kayla Starrett May 1,

This looks so good! I’m adding it to our recipe file :) Thanks for sharing.

• Alisha May 1,

Oh yummy! This sounds so delicious!! I have a go-to chili recipe that I normally make, but it’s definitely time to switch it up…and this one sounds so much fresher — a more “summery” chili (if that makes sense). :) And I’ve never thought of using rice as a topping on chili – great idea!

• Claire @ A Little Claireification May 1,

Yum, yum Ruth! Looks so delish {and of course those denim place mats are the BOMB. Love.}
    xoxo, Claire

• Meghan May 6,

LOVE the placemats!!!!! And the recipe sounds divine as well!

• Cindy @Hun... What's for Dinner? May 7,

This looks very delicious! Thanks for sharing with Simple Supper Tuesday.

• Malissa Mount May 7,

Thank You for this recipe!! I worked all day then shuttled my youngest to gymnastics AND still had time to make a great dinner thanks to your recipe! It was yummy!!

• Sinea Pies May 14,

OK, I need a plan. How do I get to eat these awesome recipes that my husband won’t go near? Hmm. I know, I’ll take them as a dish to pass when I go to parties. This looks SO good I really do have to make it but Steve really won’t go near it. Not even in the same room. He’s picky, picky, picky. This kind of dish is has a magnetic pull for me. I love it.

Thanks so much for sharing the link on my blog hop last week. It’d be featured but I already am featuring your tray make over….so this one will have to wait.

Blessings,
    Sinea
    Ducks ‘n a Row

• Anonymous June 8,

Loved this. Fast , easy, flavorful. I thought I had chili powder in the cupboard but didnt so I used an envelope of mild chili seasoning (we are spicy wimps so always use mild versions) .

• Holiday in Namibia June 27,

Now that looks super Delicious!!!. The recipe looks so easy thanks for your time posting it for us.

• Christy Panzarella July 3,

As a picky eater, discovering new foods I love, I wanted to try this. Ive never liked beans, chili or spicy food, but gave it a go. I love this. Its 84 degrees in Ohio, and I made this bc of the comment about it being a “summery chili”. Very good. I doubled the chili powder, and added a splash of pink sea salt … and Its still not too spicy!

Thanks for sharing!

• Valerie Richards October 30,

I made this tonight for dinner and it was sooooooooooooooo good,I loved it alot!

• Celena December 5,

Ruth, we LOVE this recipe! The salsa verde makes it! I’ve been using a similar recipe before, but we like this one much better. We usually use ground turkey. We are getting a freeze storm tonight, and this is the perfect warm meal for our family to eat.

• nicole January 7,

Just finished making this recipe and YUM. Great quick-n-dirty chili.
    My husband added a little bit of cinnamon for a hint of smoky sweetness.

• Brandi February 18,

I made this for dinner tonight, and we loved it! Even my picky 2nd grader asked for a second helping! I will be adding this into our list of favorites. Thank you!

• Amanda @ All Day Activewear March 5,

Oh my — my almost-two year old’s favorite things are corn and beans….this is a sure-hit recipe for our Meat-Free Fridays this Lent. Can’t wait to try it out. I am sharing your recipe in a recipe round up on my blog tomorrow. Thanks so much for sharing!! :)