17 Awesome Money Saving Apps

17 Awesome Money-Saving Apps--17 great apps for earning rewards, saving on (almost) everything, and organizing your finances!

Am I the only one who is completely awed by the miracle of this little technological wonder called the Smart Phone?  How can one little handheld device do so much?  Besides being a stylish fashion accessory, my phone is simultaneously a camera, internet browser, radio, GPS, e-reader,  and note-taker.  It even turns into a flashlight, should I ever need it.

I will readily admit that with all the amazing features of these little gizmos there is a serious temptation to spend every waking moment staring at that little screen.  That said, I still think there are too many helpful & money-saving apps available not to take advantage of at least some of them.

I wanted to be able to give you all a fairly comprehensive list of what I feel are some of the best money-saving and reward-earning apps available right now.  I have been researching & trying them out  on my iPhone for a few months, just to get a good feel for how they work, but most of them are available for Android phones as well.  New apps are developed all the time, so while it is quite possible I’ve missed something, I do feel confident that this list is a great selection.

Apps That Offer Rewards:

1. Shopkick

• Rewards you with “kicks” (reward points) for visiting participating retailers (Macy’s, Target, Crate & Barrel, Best Buy, Old Navy, etc.
  • You can also earn “bonus kicks” for scanning specific items within the store.
  • Redeem your reward points for retail & restaurant gift cards.
  • Connect your credit or debit card to your account to earn points when you spend money at stores such as Target.  I have personally found this the best way to earn points, since I don’t do a lot of retail shopping at other stores, but I do go to Target every now and then.

2. Viggle

• Earn points for watching television shows.
  • Once you download the app, you can “check in” to register whatever show you are watching.  The app will listen to your TV and you will earn 1 point per minute you are checked in.
  • Earn bonus points for watching featured programs; you can also earn bonus points through promotions and games.
  • Redeem points for gift cards and other prizes.
  • This app was pretty pointless for me since I watch almost no television, but I have a few TV-loving friends who absolutely love it!

17 Best Money Saving iPhone Apps

3. Jingit

• Jingit pays you to watch ads, then answer questions about the ads.
  • You can also earn money by checking in at Walmart and other participating locations.
  • To get paid, you must request a Jingit Visa Debit Card, which takes a $3 out of your account.
  • There is an earning limit of $15 per week.
  • This app is especially useful if you do a lot of Walmart shopping.

4. Swagbucks TV

• Earn Swag Bucks for watching videos on your phone, up to 50 per day.
  • Works in conjunction with your online Swagbucks account, for which you can earn Swag Bucks by shopping online, using the Swagbucks site as your primary search engine, and printing coupons.
  • Redeem Swag Bucks for gift cards and other prizes (500 Swag Bucks equals a $5 gift card)
  • I have been earning Swag Bucks online for years now and I love that this app can help me earn rewards faster in my downtime.

Apps that Save Money on Groceries

5. Ibotta

• Ibotta also offers cash rewards, which can be deposited directly to a PayPal account.
  • Unlike Jingit, Ibotta requires you to make a participating purchase in order to get paid.  However, the payout is significantly higher than other rewards programs.
  • Before heading to the grocery store, choose the offers you will participate in.  The more offers you choose, the more cash you’ll earn.  Next, go shopping & purchase your chosen products.  After you check out, take a photo of your receipt.  Ibotta will then verify your purchase and credit your account.
  • Every time you redeem an offer a new one will be sent.
  • This is a GREAT app to use in conjunction with coupons and store sales!

17 Best Money Saving iPhone Apps

6. Favado

• Favado is a mobile savings app that helps shoppers stop overspending by notifying them when their favorite items are on sale.
  • Favado has money saving experts who hand select sales and coupons every week — in more than 65,000 grocery and drugstores nationwide — to enable discovery of the best deals for savings up to 70% on everyday items.
  • Again, this is a great app to use in conjunction with store sales and paper coupons to stretch your savings.
  • Favado currently works in conjunction with other money saving apps, including the Target Mobile Coupon App, the Target Cartwheel App, the SavingStar app, and Checkout 51

7. SavingStar

• Clip e-Coupons that are automatically added to your participating grocery store’s savings card.
  • Savings are stored in an account; once you’ve saved $5 or more, get paid via bank transfer, PayPal, or Amazon.com gift card.
  • Only works at participating stores, but it is a great app if your store participates!

8. Grocery IQ by Coupons.com

• Add items to your grocery list via text, scan, or voice, then easily clip corresponding coupons to save.
  • Can create different lists for multiple stores
  • Coupons can be sent directly to your wi-fi enabled printer, or emailed to you so you can print them via your home computer.
  • Can sync and share your list with multiple users

9. Target Cartwheel App

• Feature hundreds of special offers and sales for Target merchandise.
  • Allows you to scan your items at Target to check for special offers, which can then be stacked with other paper and online coupons.

Apps that Save Money on Other Items

10. Shop Savvy

• Barcode scanner allows you to scan an item in the store to see if you can find a better price online.
  • Great way to avoid impulse purchases!

11. Gas Buddy

• Uses satellite locater to find the closest gas stations with current gas prices
  • Earn points every time you report a gas price

17 Best Money Saving iPhone Apps

12. Retail Me Not

• Retail coupon app that quickly pulls up coupons or coupon codes for most major retailers that can be used in stores or online.
  • Simple-to-use app with easy search option
  • Also features daily “hot deals”

13. JoAnns Coupon App

•  Retail coupon app that pulls up exclusive coupons just for JoAnn’s stores
  • Offers coupons that are not available anywhere else
  • Can be “stacked” with paper coupons, competitor coupons, and other online coupons.

Apps that Help Organize & Manage Your Finances

14. Mint.com

• Free budgeting app automatically tracks all your accounts & credit cards in one place
  • Allows you to see the “big picture” of where your money is and where it is going.

17 Best Money Saving iPhone Apps

15. Check (formerly PageOnce)

• Similar to Mint.com in that it is a free budgeting app that automatically tracks your accounts & credit cards
  • Offers a paid bill pay option upgrade for $4.99 that allows you to pay your bills each month
  • Reminds you when bills are due so that you never miss a payment.

16. Easy Envelope Budget Aid

• Budgeting app that lets you create virtual “envelopes” to keep track of spending in various categories.
  • Great for Dave Ramsey fans who find it cumbersome to carry actual envelopes.
  • Includes a sync option so you can share with other users

17. Award Wallet

•  Helps track all your frequent flyer miles, hotel points, & credit card rewards
  • Essential app if you travel a lot for business or use multiple reward programs!

I do think it is important to note that while, for the purpose of this blog post, I did install and try all these apps, I have not continued to use them all on a regular basis, nor do I think that you should!  It is important to balance the usefulness of the app with the amount of time spent on your phone.  My recommendation is that you try a few out, depending on what your desired outcome is (organizing finances, earning rewards, etc.) and see which ones work best for you.

Which money-saving apps do you use?  Are there any not listed here that you recommend?

• KC @ The Real Thing with the Coake Family June 14,

LOVE EEBA (easy envelope budget aid)! It is fantastic! We have been using it for a few years now. It really helps my husband and I stay on the same page with how much money we have. It also puts the responsibility on both of us for keeping track of money, where it used to be solely my responsibility.
    On android only, I love Mighty Grocery. It is a fantastic grocery list app. It does more, but that is what I use it for. You can store prices in it. When I make my grocery list I know exactly how much I will be spending and can adjust the menus if I need to save a little more to stay on budget, etc. It is so great!
    Thanks for the great list of apps.
    KC

• Ruth Soukup June 17,

That Mighty Grocery does sound like a great app! Thanks KC!

• SmallMomentsBigJoy June 14,

I just used Shop Savvy yesterday. Saw a Bible at a Christian book store that I fell in LOVE with. Used the app, and saved myself $20 by ordering it online. :)

• Ruth Soukup June 17,

That’s awesome!

• Amanda June 14,

I love Shopkick! I also love the Starbucks app. I don’t know how much I actually save with that one but I do get coupons for earning stars…..does that count? I can’t wait to try some of these other ones.

• Ruth Soukup June 17,

LOL Amanda! I love the Starbucks app too! :-)

• Taylor June 16,

HIIUUGE fan of Snip Snap! My husband & I have saved tons of money at stores that we didn’t have coupons for – Chuckee Cheese, Dicks, Macy’s, etc. We love it!!!

• Alyssa June 17,

Ruth which apps are the ones you recommend the most?

• Alyssa June 17,

for beginner couponers that is

• Melissa June 18,

LOVE LOVE LOVE Grocery IQ app!! I have all of my favorites saved with pricing by store. My hubby has the app on his phone too so he can add to the list at any time. Soooo much better than the paper list I used to use. It adds the total as you go, which really helps when your budget is tight. Also, I can sort my list by the store’s isle order which makes me less likely to miss items. Best. App. Ever. (At least, for grocery shopping) ;)

• Kristin November 12,

I agree Melissa! I use Grocery IQ the same way! It is one of my very favorite apps I have on my phone! I use it all the time!

• Kate June 21,

I love Viggle, although I’m not earning as much as I used too, or as much as my Father-in-Law does :) It’s quite easy to use and earn money! I’ll have to check out the some of the others! (I think Endorse may have shut down…)

• Briana June 23,

Check out ebates through the link above and signup to learn how you can earn cash back from online shopping, and also get access to coupons galore!

• Anonymous June 30,

Couponsherpa

• Melanie July 5,

Michael’s craft store app – get coupons for 40% off an item and more! Just scan your phone at checkout.

• apple ios developer July 10,

Hello, Neat post. There’s a problem together with your website in web explorer, may test this? IE still is the market chief and a big component to other folks will leave out your excellent writing because of this problem.

• Tony July 31,

very helpful post. I love Gas Buddy, I will try Award Wallet. They are other money saving apps that is very good if you are student. you can check them out here http://universitytwig.com/article/detail/Best_money-saving_apps_for_students

• Richard August 11,

Whether they’ve been shot with a phone or a dedicated camera. All you need is the right app to edit your photo with desired results. Here’s a look at one of the best Photo editing apps for iOS and Android, offering features and controls that rival, and in some cases even exceed the capabilities of entry-level desktop software. This App seems Simple, Loaded with All basic and advanced Features with great user interface for Entry level and advanced Photographers:Check Entry Level, advance version and HD version.

http://www.mastermindspower.com/services/iosphotosplashfxplushd.php? dt=130811&desc=Livingwell

• tavo September 15,

• Anonymous October 6,

I’ve tried 4/5 times and can’t get ibotta to work

• Samantha October 10,

You should check out Manilla it tracks allyour bills, accounts and hotel rewards, subscriptions

• samantha Santiago October 10,

-Check points is another way to get points for checking into place and scanning items at stores like walmart and if your friend get the app and use your bouns code like mine is sambina84 your get points as wellas your friend
    -App Trailers is easy cash for “watching” app trailers and you also get points for signing ppl up. they cash out into your paypal account.
    If your commited as I am u can log in COKE code from caps and cases and get prizes that are pretty awesome and I think that have a sign your buddy up point thing as well
    I also do the Kelleoggs Rewards you put in codes from there boxes and get prizes or giftcards

• Jess October 30,

Does anyone use eBates? I just got married on 09/28/13 and my cousin suggested I use it when purchasing the rest of my wedding registry items. So far I have about $35 waiting for me. Do others use this or are these others mentioned better? I still have more shopping to do, so I’ve very curious what you all think. Please let me know. Thanks, and Happy Halloween tomorrow! :)

• Anonymous December 16,

I use shop-at-home. They will match + 10% any other site that can be verified. You get your check right on time everytime.

• Thelma October 31,

We use the checkbook app called pocket money. Been using it for several years and it is great!

• www.youtube.com November 9,

The Groundspeak geocaching app allows you to access
    the Geocaching. It looks more professional than whipping out that
    PSP, yet will while away the time just the same.
    Buying in bulk is a great way to save money,
    and you can combine different bulk offerings for a candy crush saga cheat
    codes bowl that’s ripe for the picking with many an options.

• Anonymous December 25,

All these apps appear suitable for use in the States only, I am from South Africa, which would be good ones to try?

• Michaels Coupons February 6,

I have found that to get the latest Michaels Coupons and Deals, there is no better site than http://michaelscoupons.org

• Natalie February 7,

Great list! BTW if you have kids i have another money saving app for you…one that block in-app purchases made by your kids…:-) it is called KIDOZ on google play.

• Tammy February 13,

I use Coupon Sherpa and GeoQpons. They are both apps I use when shopping and eating out to find discounts. They frequently have the same coupons, but many times the store I’m in will have a coupon or discount on one and not the other. I saved 20% at TGIF for a dinner for 10 people. We all ate for less than 100$
    My kids and nieces/nephews always want to know if my phone has a coupon. They are learning that checking for a discount will save them money more often than not.

• nora spaulding February 14,

I use RETAIL ME NOT a ton! it saves a lot on shopping trips for shoes at famous footwear, places to eat like subway and coldstone creamery and other stores a LOT like Bath and Body Works- they let you double and triple with in store coupons!

• Linda H. February 14,

Great post! I use Swagbucks, Ibotta & Checkout51. You didn’t write about Checkout51, which is a pity because it’s similar to Ibotta, only I find it’s easier to use and earns you even better rewards than Ibotta!

• sheena March 2,

“You need a budget” is an incredible program and app for budgeting
    and saving money!!

• Heather April 18,

One of my favorite apps next to Ibotta is checkout 51. This is along the same lines as Ibotta but you don’t need to scan everything. Once you earn $20, you can request a check sent to you. It has taken me about 4 months to earn the $20. They often have cash back on fruits and vegetables. They update their list weekly.

• alexisavvy.com April 20,

After looking over a few of the articles on your site,
    I seriously like your technique of blogging.
    I book-marked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be
    checking back in the near future. Please check out my
    web site too and tell me your opinion.

• Gretchen April 25,

Great post, I have been using the apps you posted (including: shopkick, ibotta, savingstar, cartwheel..) for a long long time and loved them! I also used “snipsnap” for while but it doesn’t support manufacture coupon and most major stores wouldn’t accept snipsnap coupons any more, that’s sad… Another app I liked but not on your post is called “couponkeeper”, it can scan your coupons to your cellphone and keep it organized, it helped me a lot during the store visiting.
    Here goes the link:
    snipsnap:
    iOS store:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/snipsnap-coupon-app-scan-save/id516439697?mt=8
    Android store:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snipsnap.snipsnapapp
    couponkeeper:
    iOS: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/coupon-keeper-2/id538114910?mt=8
    Android: http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.superkiddostudio.android.app.couponkeeper

• Elijah April 26,

Every weekend i used to pay a visit this website,
    because i want enjoyment, for the reason that this this web page
    conations genuinely nice funny material too.

• prefabrique maison au liban April 27,

A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment.
    I do think that you need to write more on this subject,
    it might not be a taboo subject but typically folks don’t talk about such issues.
    To the next! All the best!!

• Heather May 15,

We like Checkout 51. We’ve made a little bit off of it, but not a lot. I think one of the keys is to shop normally, and not buy something just because you will get money back.

Also, I’m not sure I like the idea of Viggle. The idea of the app listening in weirds me out a little. ;)

• Ace Cleaning Co June 16,

s why a special cleaning offer is also provided
    to you by the company on every renewal of the contract.
    Hard work will have to be done just to start making money.
    It is quite disappointing to invest the company
    resources to a cleaning service that will bring more harm than good.

• Jason June 24,

There’s so many apps to save money now, especially for groceries. Here’s our top 10 right here:

• http://myworld40.net63.net/ July 6,

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.

I’ve read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or advice.
    Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article.

I desire to read even more things about it!

• giveaways July 7,

I constantly spent my half an hour to read this web site’s content every day along
    with a cup of coffee.

• Faith July 10,

Fine way of telling, and nice paragraph to get facts about my presentation subject, which i
    am going to deliver in college.

• Maria July 11,

In order to save money, I use RingCredible, I do not use regular connections anymore. Is is easy and cheap… Try it! http://dl.ringcredible.com/SHAR

• Verla July 22,

It’s in fact very difficult in this busy life to listen news on TV,
    so I just use the web for that purpose, and get the hottest information.

• sell home now August 10,

Awesome issues here. I am very satisfied to see
    your post. Thanks a lot and I’m having a look ahead to contact you.
    Will you please drop me a mail?

• Www.Xtrememind.Com August 26,

This is really fascinating, You’re an excessively professional blogger.
    I’ve joined your rss feed and look ahead to looking for extra of your magnificent post.
    Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks

• clash of clans cheats hack for gems iphone ipod September 3,

each time i used to read smaller articles which as well clear their motive,
    and that is also happening with this piece of writing which I am reading here.

• move to hawaii from california September 3,

whoah this blog is magnificent i love reading your posts.
    Keep up the great work! You realize, many persons
    are hunting around for this information, you can aid them greatly.

• Princess September 20,

Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this post is amazing,
    nice written and include approximately all significant infos.

I’d like to look more posts like this .