Butternut Squash Lasagna {Recipe}

Butternut Squash Lasagna

This super simple butternut squash lasagna has been one of my go-to recipes for years and years now–so long I can’t even remember where I first found it.  It is one of those dishes that always pleases vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.  Even better, even though it seems like a lot of work, it is deceptively easy.  It come together in just a few minutes but is still elegant enough to serve to guests.  It is also a great one to freeze–just partially bake it for about 30 minutes, then let cool and wrap well.

Butternut Squash Lasagna

Here is what you need:

1 package no-cook lasagna noodles
2 packages frozen cooked squash, thawed
1 15 ounce carton ricotta cheese
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
1 8oz package shredded mozzarella cheese
cooking spray

Butternut Squash Lasagna

Step 1:  In a medium bowl, add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to ricotta cheese and mix well.  Set aside.

Butternut Squash Lasagna

Step 2:  In mixing bowl, add remaining salt, pepper, and sage to squash.  Beat for approximately 20-30 seconds until well blended.

Butternut Squash Lasagna Layers

Step 3:  Assemble lasagna.  Coat a square 8×8″ baking dish with cooking spray, then start by placing 2 noodles in the bottom of the dish.  Cover noodles with half of squash mixture, then add 2 more noodles.  Divide ricotta mixture in half and add layer of ricotta over noodles, then add 2 more noodles and repeat layers until the second ricotta layer is at the top. Cover ricotta with mozzarella cheese and remaining parmesan cheese.

Butternut Squash Lasagna

Step 4:  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cover lasagna with foil, making sure the foil does not touch the cheese!

Butternut Squash Lasagna

Step 5:  Bake 30 minutes covered, then remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes more, until lasagna is golden brown.  Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.

Butternut Squash Lasagna.  This yummy vegetarian lasagna is perfect for fall!  It looks complicated but comes together in just a few minutes.  Great family-pleasing meal & perfect for "meatless mondays."

Do you have a go-to lasagna recipe you love?

• Christine August 14,

I love fall cooking! Can’t wait to try this, thanks for sharing :).

• Ruth Soukup August 17,

You’re welcome Christine! Let me know how you like it! :-)

• Michelle August 14,

Yum! I need to make this.

• Candice August 14,

What an awesome recipe. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like this. I love that it’s the kind of thing I could use for a big dinner with a few of my friends—half of whom are vegetarian. They’d so love this.
    Oh, and I totally agree with Christine—Fall can’t come soon enough.

Thanks for sharing, Ruth!

– Candice

• Jesse August 17,

How much squash is in the packages? I was wondering how much fresh butternut squash to use as an equivalent.
    Thanks!

• Ruth Soukup August 19,

It is probably about the equivalent of 2 whole butternut squashes. You would probably have to roast them or cook it somehow first. Let me know how it turns out!

• Kellye A August 21,

Jesse, I made it last night with fresh butternut squash & about a cup of shredded chicken. I only used one med butternut squash, and I was pressing everything down to fit in the 8×8. I think one should be just fine.

• Kellye A August 20,

Made this tonight! Used feta instead of ricotta and added some chopped (cooked) chicken. It turned out so yummy!! Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

• kitchen appliance September 25,

I am really grateful to the owner of this web page who has shared this enormous piece of writing at here.

• Gene October 6,

I think this is one of the most significant
    information for me. And i’m glad reading your article.
    But want to remark on few general things, The web site style is ideal, the articles is really nice : D.
    Good job, cheers

• Karen Goodman October 27,

I LOVE this recipe…who wouldn’t love lasagna and squash in one recipe! And it would be perfect for my new link party. This link party is called ‘Required Ingredient Recipe Link Party’ and I’ll be holding it every Sunday, starting right now.

The idea is to focus on a single ingredient each week and I’m starting off with cheese because everyone loves cheese!

I’m planning to do a ton of promotion to get this link party off the ground, so any recipes you post should get lots of attention.

Regardless of if you link up or not, I’m pinning this recipe! Yum!

Hope to see you at the link party…

• Karin January 2,

Silly question but can you taste the squash???

• Jamie Jordan January 14,

This sounds good! Do you think it would work using pumpkin puree? Or would that be too runny?