Easy Breakfast Casserole

easy breakfast casserole square

When I was growing up my family didn’t have a whole lot of traditions, but on birthdays we always had breakfast casserole.  Always. And it rocked!

My sister has since continued the breakfast casserole tradition and over the years she has honed our mom’s basic recipe to the point of perfection.  Seriously friends, this simple but delicious recipe is so good you might cry.  My husband was in heaven the first time I made it, and my girls gobbled it up like they had never seen food before!

The best thing about this recipe is that you can whip it up the night before, then just pop it in the oven in the morning for a hot, delicious, and hearty meal.  It is great for a Sunday brunch or even for busy weekday mornings.  Try it soon.  You will not regret it!

casserole05

Here is what you need:

6-8 slices bread (the drier and staler, the better!)
1 lb. breakfast meat
(sausage links, pork sausage,  bacon, or even vegetarian sausage patties will work)
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
6 eggs
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream

casserole06

Step 1:  Dice bread; cut off crusts if desired.

casserole10

Step 2:  Grease 9×11″ baking dish; add layer of diced bread to dish.

casserole07

Step 3:  Cook sausage or bacon; add meat layer over top of bread then add layer of cheese over meat.

casserole11

Step 4: Whisk eggs until well blended; mix in salt, pepper, mustard, & milk.

casserole13

Step 5: Pour egg mixture over cheese.

casserole15

Step 6:  Cover with plastic wrap; press on plastic so that egg mixture covers all of cheese. Refrigerate overnight.

casserole01

Step 7: Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.

Easy Breakfast Casserole

Have you ever tried breakfast casserole?  How do you make yours?

• Randi February 19,

I do something similar to this using hashbrown potatoes instead of bread. I’m going to have to try bread the next time I make it!

• Ruth Soukup February 27,

That sounds delicious Randi! I might have to try it. Do you cook the hash browns first?

• Felecia Cofield February 19,

Hi Ruth! The casserole sounds yummy! I can hardly wait to try it! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

• Debbie February 19,

I make something very similar. I normally use bulk sausage. I will have to pin this! If you use sausage links do you cut them up or leave them or the patty whole? Just curious.

Thanks!

• Adele February 19,

Could this be frozen and would you defrost it first or cook it from frozen ? Does anyone who makes a similar dish freeze theirs ?

• Ruth Soukup February 27,

I’m honestly not sure how that would turn out Adele, since I have never tried it. I would love to hear your results if you do give it a try!

• Jenn February 20,

I have always loved breakfast casseroles. I have so many memories of eating them as a child. They are a favorite!

• Jenni Mullinix February 21,

I will have to try this for our Saturday Family Breakfast sometime. Thanks for the recipe! Just started following your blog a couple of weeks ago and love it! :)

• Ruth Soukup February 27,

Thanks Jenni! Let me know how you like it! :-)

• Julie February 26,

Looks good and I hope this is OK (and not too off-topic) but I love your ring!

• Ruth Soukup February 27,

Thanks Julie! I love it too. He did good. :-)

• Colleen March 2,

Try 6 torn up english muffins instead of bread – delicious!

• jodi March 9,

Looks yummy! I just halved this recipe (I knew my hubbs and I would never be able to eat it all) and put it in an 8×8 pan. Can’t wait to try it! As I was dividing the recipe, I wasn’t sure what to make of the differences in the two recipes you’ve got…the initial version at the top of the post and the summary at the bottom. Is one a lighter version? (Ie. Way less cheese , 5 slices instead of 6, cream/no cream). I sort of improvised and I’m sure it will be tasty when it comes out of the oven, but I just wondered… thank you for posting it!

• Nan April 19,

The printable recipe is slightly different than the one at the top of the posting – what do you recommend?

• Sofie April 19,

Many years ago in Italy I learn to use the left-overs from dinner for lunch next day more or less like that:
    Half a portion of pasta in some kind of salsa, – put it in a baking dish filling 3/4 of it and then add an egg mixture and some cheese
    Or
    Boiled/fried vegetables and a piece of meat or fish in pieces, – same procedure.
    You could actually use whatever left overs you have and it’s good as well hot and cold :-)

• Shelley April 28,

I am allergic to mustard – does it make a big difference in taste without the dry mustard? Anyone try it without dry mustard?

• Anonymous May 7,

You should b able to make this just as tasty without the mustard!