When I was growing up my family didn’t have a whole lot of traditions, but on birthdays we always had breakfast casserole. Always. And it rocked!
My sister has since continued the breakfast casserole tradition and over the years she has honed our mom’s basic recipe to the point of perfection. Seriously friends, this simple but delicious recipe is so good you might cry. My husband was in heaven the first time I made it, and my girls gobbled it up like they had never seen food before!
The best thing about this recipe is that you can whip it up the night before, then just pop it in the oven in the morning for a hot, delicious, and hearty meal. It is great for a Sunday brunch or even for busy weekday mornings. Try it soon. You will not regret it!
Here is what you need:6-8 slices bread (the drier and staler, the better!) 1 lb. breakfast meat (sausage links, pork sausage, bacon, or even vegetarian sausage patties will work) 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese 6 eggs 1 teaspoon seasoned salt 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard 1 1/2 cups milk 1/2 cup heavy cream
Step 1: Dice bread; cut off crusts if desired.
Step 2: Grease 9×11″ baking dish; add layer of diced bread to dish.
Step 3: Cook sausage or bacon; add meat layer over top of bread then add layer of cheese over meat.
Step 4: Whisk eggs until well blended; mix in salt, pepper, mustard, & milk.
Step 5: Pour egg mixture over cheese.
Step 6: Cover with plastic wrap; press on plastic so that egg mixture covers all of cheese. Refrigerate overnight.
Step 7: Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
Recipe: Breakfast Casserole
Summary: This hearty make ahead casserole is a wonderful breakfast option any day of the week!
- 5 slices of diced bread
- 1 lb. pork sausage, browned & drained (or 1 1lb. bacon, cooked & chopped)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups milk
- Dice bread; cut off crusts if desired.
- Grease 9×11″ baking dish. Add layer of diced bread.
- Cook sausage or bacon; add meat layer over top of bread then add layer of cheese over meat.
- Whisk eggs until well blended; mix in salt, pepper, mustard, & milk.
- Pour egg mixture over cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap; press on plastic so that egg mixture covers all of cheese. Refrigerate overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
Preparation time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 12
* * *
Have you ever tried breakfast casserole? How do you make yours?Pin It
Affiliate links may be used in this post. Printing a coupon or ordering a product through this link may result in a commission, which helps pay for the cost of running this site and keeps the content free. Read my full disclosure policy here.