Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken

HoneyLemonGarlic13

This simple but delicious grilled chicken is one of my family’s very favorite “cheater” freezer recipes.  Even my littlest, who doesn’t normally like chicken, gobbles it up like she has never seen food before.   I like it because it is ridiculously easy and makes almost no mess.  My husband likes it because it involves the grill, which he would happily cook with every single night if he could.

To make it as part of a freezer cooking day, just double or triple the recipe, split the marinade & chicken into multiple bags, then throw it right into the freezer–no cooking required!  Making it ahead of time is not necessary, though, as it is equally delicious just marinated at room temperature

You can use any type of chicken but my family much prefers the boneless, skinless chicken thighs, which are a darker, juicier meat and also tend to be cheaper than the boneless skinless breasts.

HoneyLemonGarlic01

Here is what you need:

2 lemons
1 cup olive oil
8-10 cloves garlic
8 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
3.5-4 pounds boneless chicken

HoneyLemonGarlic02

Step 1:  Squeeze lemons to release 2/3 cup of fresh lemon juice.

HoneyLemonGarlic03

Step 2: Mince or crush garlic in garlic press.

HoneyLemonGarlic06

Step 3: Whisk lemon juice, olive oil, honey, minced garlic, parsley, seasoned salt, & pepper together in bowl, then divide into 2 1-gallon freezer bags.  (If freezing, be sure to label bags ahead of time.)

HoneyLemonGarlic07

Step 4: Marinate chicken in bag for at least 30 minutes or longer, or press out air from bag and freeze.

HoneyLemonGarlic08

Step 5: Thaw if frozen.  Grill 6-8 minutes per side, basting with additional marinade, if desired.

DSC_0759.1

What are your favorite freezer recipes?

• Jennifer | The Deliberate Mom March 26,

This looks and sounds so good. I love freezer cooking meals too! BBQ season is upon us… I can’t wait!

Thanks for sharing.
    xoxo

• Jessie March 26,

Yum! Trying this tonight!

• Morrie March 26,

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I always order this when we go to a chinese restaurant. They really do this very well :)

• Jennifer March 26,

Thanks for this recipe. I suppose I could pan sear the chicken if hubby doesn’t feel like breaking out the grill? Here’s hoping!

• Natalie @ Paper & Birch March 26,

Love lemon chicken. Definitely going to be trying this recipe. Thanks for sharing Ruth!

• Anonymous April 7,

Finally found it again! I remembered reading the recipe a couple weeks ago, and then I couldn’t remember where I’d seen it. I’m so glad I found it again! Made sure to save it to Pinterest this time and I will definitely be trying it soon!

• Anonymous June 18,

I tried this the other night and my family loved it! It was great with a little bit of reserved marinade poured over it when served. I actually added a little ground mustard to it as well and that gave it a really nice flavor!

• sona July 22,

Be sure to use fresh marinade to serve, not the marinate the chicken has been marinading in as it will have raw chicken juice in with it.

• Teri July 23,

Can this be done in the crock pot instead of the grill?

• Anonymous August 8,

Grilled this on our new infrared grill. This is very flavorful, just right on lemon and sweetness (not overpowering). I used boneless breasts and thighs and both were very moist. Marinated meat for over an hour. Thank you for the recipe , it will be a favorite.

• Kathy Richard September 15,

We had this tonight for dinner and it was WONDERFUL!!!!! You can taste the honey and the lemon in every bite. Yum, yum!

• Ruth Soukup September 16,

So glad you enjoyed it Kathy! :-)

• Chrystal September 24,

I have this pulled out to cook and its raining. How would you do this if you didn’t use a grill? Pan sear or bake? would you cook it in the marinade?
    thanks so much!