In our family, Christmas movies and hot chocolate go hand in hand, and we are incapable of having one without the other. Every year we look forward to getting in our PJs and watching all our favorites–The Polar Express, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, It’s a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, A Charlie Brown Christmas….it’s almost like a rite of passage.
Normally we just go for the little Swiss Miss packets, but this year, inspired by the success of my homemade peppermint marshmallows, I decided to get a little fancy with our hot chocolate. Let me just tell you that it was well worth the small amount of extra effort! My girls declared it the Best Hot Chocolate EVER and have begged me to make it for every movie since. If you prefer brown chocolate you can substitute milk or semi-sweet chips for the white chocolate, but the rest of the instructions are the same!
Here is what you need:1 12oz bag white chocolate chips 1 cup heavy cream 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract 4 cups 2% milk (or soy or almond milk) Peppermint Marshmallows (optional)
Step 1: Melt white chocolate chips in a double boiler.
Step 2: Add heavy cream to melted chocolate & mix well until heated.
Step 3: Add peppermint extract; mix well.
Step 4: Add milk, one cup at a time, whisking frequently until mixture is hot. Serve immediately with Peppermint Marshmallows, or keep warm in crock pot.
Recipe: White Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Summary: Warm up by the fire with this minty beverage
- 12oz bag white chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 cups 2% milk (or soy or almond milk)
- Peppermint Marshmallows (optional)
- Melt white chocolate chips in a double boiler.
- Add heavy cream to melted chocolate & mix well until heated.
- Add peppermint extract; mix well.
- Add milk, one cup at a time, whisking frequently until mixture is hot. Serve immediately with Peppermint Marshmallows, or keep warm in crock pot.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
* * *
What’s your favorite Christmas movie?