THE WAIT IS OVER!
Ready to finally create the life you’ve always dreamed of? Do it Scared is now available everywhere. Get the game-changing book everyone is talking about and discover the courage to face your fears head on.
There’s a part of me that still can’t believe I’m even writing this post.
You see, I’ve been using essential oils for about a year now, and never in a million years would I have believed that I would become such a fan, or that my engineer (and completely skeptical) husband would be even more enthusiastic about them than me! But the truth is, they have made such an amazing difference in our lives in so many different ways that it is hard not to want to talk about them all the time. (I don’t, because let’s face it–that would be really annoying!)
That said, I just need to start by letting you know that what I am allowed to say publicly on this blog is severely restricted by the FDA. As you can imagine, these restrictions, make it difficult to share in great detail exactly how and why we are using the oils in our everyday life, but I’m going to try!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
While there are many different brands of oils available, (and always a lot of discussion over which oils are “the best,”) I personally use Young Living oils. You can read all my reasons for choosing Young Living here, but suffice to say I was mostly swayed by the fact that YL owns all their own farms (which you are allowed to visit—my brother and sister-in-law just finished helping with the lavender harvest in Idaho, and I will be visiting one of their farms in Utah in October), that they have a “Seed to Seal” guarantee, and that they produce oils that are 100% therapeutic grade, meaning they are safe for internal use, and not manufactured in a lab.
Everyone I know who uses oils uses them in slightly different ways, so this list is neither all-inclusive or the “end-all, be-all” when it comes to essential oils. Indeed, the longer I use them, the more I learn (and the more I love them!)
In any case, here are ten ways my family uses essential oils every single day:
To support immunity & aid in overall good health
For me, this is probably the single most exciting change since I started using essential oils. To me it feels like a miracle. There have been a few times over the past year where I felt like I might have something coming on, but I keep my immune system boosted with a drop of Thieves on my throat and by applying Immupower, Lemon, Oregano, & Thieves to the bottom of my feet.
To aid sleep & relaxation
My whole family uses oils to help promote relaxation*, especially at night. Both my girls and husband love it when I apply lavender, chamomile, and a blend called Peace & Calming to their feet just before bedtime, and I have to admit that I love it too. It is a soothing little ritual for all of us. There is something about a gentle touch like this that is so important!
To support our Muscular System
I love massaging calves with an oil blend called OrthoEase, along with some oils called Relieve It and copaiba. We apply helichrysum and cypress topically as well to improve the appearance of tender skin. These oils have a stimulating, clarifying and grounding fragrance.
To support our Respiratory System*
Our Respiratory Systems get quite a workout in the fall and winter months. To support wellness during this time of year, we have found that applying a homemade salve of coconut oil whipped together with Lemon, R.C., Raven, and Thieves helps create a comforting aroma.
In the diffuser
I’ve never been a big fan of artificial air fresheners—to me they always smell so fake and overpowering—but I love diffusing oils in my home! My favorite blend to diffuse is Citrus Fresh—it just smells fresh and clean. My youngest daughter is a fan of diffusing lemon & lavender, while my older daughter loves joy. There is even a holiday blend called Christmas Spirit that seriously smells like Christmas in a bottle!
To support my Nervous System*
Peppermint and Thieves are both great when used to support a healthy nervous system*.
Enjoy the outdoors annoyance free
The Purification blend contains Citronella and we all know how amazing citronella is!. In a pinch while traveling we have just applied a few drops of this oil directly to our skin, but at home I mix up a bottle of Purification and water to enjoy the outdoors without annoyance.
As a dietary supplement
In addition to oils, Young Living produces a number of supplementary products. There are two that I take every single day. The first is NingXia Red, which is their super-concentrated juice made from wolfberry extract. Wolfberries have the highest concentration of antioxidants of any fruit in the world, and not only is the NingXia delicious, it helps keep me healthy and gives me a daily boost of energy. I love it!
The second supplement I take daily is called AlkaLime, which helps regulate my body’s pH levels, and keeps me from becoming too acidic. I usually take this in the morning and at night. If you have never read about the importance of keeping your pH levels regulated, I highly recommend starting with this article!
In our beauty products
I generally drop 20-30 drops of Tea Tree into each of our shampoo & conditioner. This helps maintains healthy looking hair and scalp which has the added bonus of making every shower smell and feel like a spa experience!
In my water
I love adding lemon or grapefruit to my water. Not only does it enhance the flavor of my water, it make my water that much more fun to drink! One word of caution when using citrus oils in water—the citrus oils will eat through plastic containers, so always use glass or stainless steel!
How to get started
Getting started with essential oils might feel a little overwhelming at first, especially when it feels like everyone is saying something different. To read in more detail why I specifically chose Young Living, you can check out my Essential Oils 101 page HERE.
If you are interested in trying essential oils, I highly recommend starting with the Young Living Premium Starter Kit, which comes with 11 of the most popular, most frequently used oils, as well as a diffuser and some additional samples for only $160. (Purchased separately these items would be more than $300.)
And, because I really believe these oils are life changing & I want anyone who buys them to fully understand how to USE them, when you purchase a premium starter kit through Living Well Spending Less using the instructions below, I will personally send you 3 more items–two fabulous reference materials and a full set of bottle labels! To get your freebies, simply follow the instructions below.
Here’s is what to do:
1. Head over to the Young Living page here and fill out your information. It only takes a second, I promise!
2. BE SURE the “Wholesale Member” option is checked so that you don’t end up paying retail prices (which are 24% more than wholesale).
3. BE SURE the “sponsor ID” and “enroller id” say 2081607 (This is so that I can send you your bonus freebies!)
4. If you do not feel comfortable putting in your social security number (this is only for tax purposes if you decide to turn this into a business) then you can get an EIN from the IRS in just a few seconds here and use that number instead (the IRS just needs to be able to connect some number with you for tax purposes). They need a Social Security Number or an EIN because if you make $600 or more per year selling Young Living products, you will receive a 1099 form in the mail (which is required by law). Young Living will never share this info with anyone.
5. Select which starter kit you want to get. Again, I highly recommend the Premium Starter Kit with the Home or Dewdrop Diffuser, which is the one that contains the 11 oils and also the one which will get you the additional freebies. Those are the oils that I use almost every single day! You can get the kit that’s $160, or you can get a kit for $170 with a different style diffuser. (I have both and I personally like the home diffuser better.)
6. If you already know that you want to be ordering regularly, then you can go ahead and sign up for Essential Rewards right there when you order your starter kit! It’s an amazing way to earn FREE oils with your order every month! It’s a completely OPTIONAL program, so if you’re just wanting the starter kit for now then you can just skip this part of the sign-up process. I’ll send over an email with more details on that part of things after you sign up.
7. Go through the checkout process. Young Living accepts most major credit cards, including Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.
8. After you sign up, FILL OUT THIS FORM letting me know that you signed up through this promotion so that I will know to send you your freebies
* * *
If you have any more questions about getting started with essential oils, please feel free to send us an email at email@example.com, or in the comments below! Also, if you are an essential oil user, I’d love to hear which oils you use most often, and why!