Don’t have any extra time to clean during the holidays? Don’t sweat! This speed cleaning checklist will get your home holiday-ready in minimal time!
There is no time of year when I love my house–or enjoy being at home–more than during the month of December. There is just something magical about those twinkling Christmas tree lights and festive decorations. I love turning on some mellow Christmas music (the James Taylor Christmas album is my all time fav!) and cuddling up on the couch with a cup of spiked cocoa and a good book, or watching one of my favorite holiday classics. In fact, it might the only time during the whole year when I truly just chill.
But you know what totally ruins my Christmas spirit?
A messy house.
And while during the rest of the year, my regular speed cleaning routine usually works just fine, this time of year I just don’t have an extra hour a day to devote to cleaning. Thus, in the interest of maintaining my sanity, I have found a way to cheat & get it done in half the time. Granted, come January my house will probably be due for some deep cleaning & reorganization, but if it gets me through the season with my sanity in tact, I am okay with that. Life is all about balance and giving yourself grace when needed!
How to Speed Clean this Holiday Season (Even if You Have to Cheat Just a Little)
What you will need:
Most of the year I prefer using these homemade green & thrifty cleaning products. Not only are they cheaper, but they smell better, and require me to keep far fewer bottles of stuff lying around!
Even so, there is something to be said for convenience, and during the holidays, when there is so much other stuff going on, I am perfectly okay with cheating! My cheater go-to cleaning supplies include “green” disposable disinfectant wipes, Windex wipes, a Swiffer Wet Jet, and Swiffer Disposable Dusters, as well as a daily shower cleaning spray. A squeegee is also helpful if you have a glass shower door
- Cleaning is much easier when you have less clutter, so the key to this entire plan is finding a quick and easy place to stash all the stuff. If you don’t have time to do a major de-cluttering session right now, find a big box or basket that you can store in an out-of-the-way place such as the garage, basement, or spare bedroom. Use this to collect the random clutter you’ve got around the house, then set a date in January to go through it all.
- Start at the same end of the house each time you clean. (I start in our Master Bedroom and work my way through the living room and kitchen to the girls’ room and bathroom.)
- Use a large laundry basket to collect items such as toys or clothing as you clean, then dump contents of basket into your garage box. It won’t be pretty but at least you’ll know where to find it (or where to tell the kids to look.)
- On the days you need to sweep, mop, or vacuum, save it until the end, then do it all at once.
- Keep the daily shower cleaner in the bath/shower and spray down after each use.
The LWSL Holiday Speed Cleaning Routine:
- Why I Make My Bed. Even if there are other things laying around, the room will look much, much cleaner.
- Quickly pick up any clothes, toys, or dishes that are lying around.
- Use a duster quickly dust the surfaces that really need it.
- Squirt toilet bowl cleaner around the rim; let sit.
- Use disinfectant wipes to quickly wipe down the sinks & countertop.
- Use toilet brush to quickly scrub toilet.
- Use disinfectant wipes to wipe down toilet seat & lid.
- Use Windex wipes to wipe any spots off mirrors & to shine faucets.
- Quickly pick up any shoes, dishes, toys, or other items & place in basket.
- Use duster to quickly dust surfaces.
- Tidy desk area, throw out junk mail, and place other mail in inbox.
- Quickly pick up any items that don’t belong in kitchen and place them in basket(s). Gather any dirty dishes and put them next to sink.
- Quickly unload (if necessary) then load dishwasher.
- Hand wash dishes/pots/pans as needed
- Wipe down counters & stove-top.
- Dry and put away any hand-washed dishes, then drain and rinse sink–the secret to a truly clean-looking kitchen is clutter-free counters and a nice clean sink.
- Use a dry mop to clean hard floors. Spot clean with a sponge if necessary.
- Vacuum rugs/carpet, especially around Christmas tree (if using live tree)
- Clean glass surfaces & mirrors as needed with Windex wipes.
- Dump collected items in your secret garage box until further notice.
- Turn the lights down, light a holiday-scented candle & play some soft Christmas music!
Other helpful resources:
- Why Aren’t You Happy? How to Take the Pressure Off This Holiday Season
- Your Biggest Holiday Problems Solved
- How to Organize Your Holiday Season
PIN FOR LATER:
If you love this resource, be sure to check out our digital library of helpful tools and resources for cleaning faster, taking control of your budget, organizing your schedule, and getting food on the table easier than ever before. This toolbox includes our incredible 10 Meals in an Hour cookbook, which is a must have!
Click here to get full access to our Home Systems Toolbox now!
TAKE BACK CONTROL OF YOUR HOME LIFE
Ever feel like you just can't keep up? Our Living Well Starter Guide will show you how to start streamlining your life in just 3 simple steps. It's a game changer--get it free for a limited time!
If you love this resource, be sure to check out our digital library of helpful tools and resources for cleaning faster, taking control of your budget, organizing your schedule, and getting food on the table easier than ever before.
If you have no idea how to begin then you can simple watch YouTube videos where you will get brief idea on how to clean or you can take guide from office cleaning team, who knows how to clean off the hectic task with proper management and simply, rest your tips are really helpful.
Thanks for the tips for making a holiday cleaning smooth.
The tools to clean up the speed you share are very complete. I appreciate your sharing.
I love this list! I hate cleaning around Christmas when we’re so busy trying to do other, more important things. Some great tips that make cleaning quick and easy.
Sarah | https://www.dreamofhome.co.uk