This is what you need to know about me:
I am a writer, blogger, entrepreneur, occasional DIYer, often overextended mom to two beautiful girls, wife to my wonderful husband of ten years, a New York Times bestselling author, and above all, an imperfect child of a loving and gracious God who lifted me out of a life of depression and despair. My greatest passion is my family and working to craft a life filled with joy and purpose.
How It All Began…
I started writing Living Well Spending Less in 2010 because my spending habits had become so out-of-control that my marriage was literally on the brink of collapse. I desperately needed to find a way to hold myself accountable, and writing about my challenges with living well on a budget really helped.
Spending wildly wasn’t something I did intentionally, but the more I tried to fill my inner void with stuff, the more unsatisfied I felt.
But now, years later, I have come to some important realizations. First, I’ve realized that I actually like saving money. Sticking to a budget forces me to tap into a creativity I never knew existed, and it is surprisingly fun and satisfying.
Second, and even more importantly, my own definition of what “Living Well” means has changed. I’ve realized that all those things I thought I wanted and needed don’t really mean anything in the grand scheme of things, and a life well lived is not so much about what we have as who we are.
If this is your first time visiting, I’d love for you to get to know me better. If you’ve got lots of time, start by reading my depression story, and then read why I took my kids’ toys away or why I make my bed every day. That will pretty much bring you up to speed with where I’ve been, who I am, and how I tick.
But please don’t think that this site is all about me…
What This Website is All About
LivingWellSpendingLess.com is a website dedicated to living life on purpose, in pursuit of the Good Life. To us, this means a life rich with faith, family, friends, & creativity. Our mission is to empower, enable, and inspire you to reach your goals, pursue your dreams, and serve your community, all while making life just a little be easier.
There is a LOT to see here, and if this is your first time, we know it can be just a little overwhelming. It is definitely our goal to make this site as user-friendly as possible so that you can easily find whatever it is you may be looking for. Here is a breakdown of what you’ll find on this site.
FOOD made simple
At Living Well Spending Less, we believe that cooking delicious, budget-friendly meals shouldn’t have to be complicated. Instead, we’re all about simple family-friendly meals that come together fast, no-cook freezer meals that can be assembled in minutes, and easy recipes that use 5 ingredients or less. All our recipes are field-tested in our LWSL test kitchen and use common, everyday ingredients & pantry staples. In other words–we do the work so you don’t have to!
You can find all our FOOD made simple posts HERE
For most of us, life is busy, always moving and always changing. From spending time with the people who matter most to following our own varied interests and pursuits, life is often full of surprises. Here at Living Well Spending Less, you’ll find articles and content that addresses all those different interests and passions, from parenting ideas to health & wellness tips, plus thoughts on faith, depression, fashion, photography, blogging, travel….and everything in between.
You can find all our LIFE etc. posts HERE
Discover the secrets to modern homemaking. From cleaning & de-cluttering to meal planning & time management, keeping your home running smoothly doesn’t have to be a chore. Here you’ll find tips, tricks, & advice for getting your home in order, getting rid of excess stuff, meal planning, DIY, decorating, gardening, party planning & much more.
You can find all our HOME 101 posts HERE
Getting a handle on your finances is one of the most important things you will ever do. Our SMART money tips will help you set a budget, pay off debt, plan for the future, and save more money in your everyday life, on everything from food to utilities to clothing and more!
You can find all our smart MONEY posts HERE
What This Website is NOT About
I don’t write specifically about the subject of blogging or how to start a blog here at LWSL, but I do love helping and mentoring other bloggers! If you are interested in learning more about how to start a blog or how to make money blogging, please check out my best-selling book, How to Blog for Profit (Without Selling Your Soul), or check out my blogging course, Elite Blog Academy.
The best way to stay connected is through our free email newsletter, which offers a free weekly dose of encouragement and inspiration, as well as links to all our latest blog posts and exclusive shop discounts. Many of our readers say it is the highlight of their week!
You can also find me on Instagram, where I share lots of fun tips, recipes, and a strong dose of inspiration daily. Of course, if you’d rather contact me directly, you send me an email me at Ruth@LivingWellSpendingLess.com–I’d love to hear from you!
If you are interested in having me speak at your next event, please check out my speaking page.
Meet the LWSL Team
With more than one million monthly readers, this blog and business has blossomed far beyond what I could possibly manage all on my own, even as a full-time job. I’ve been very blessed with the support of some amazing people who work behind the scenes to keep this site running and still allow me enough time to write, create, cook, and keep my family a priority.
- Chuck is my amazing husband, the stay-at-home dad to our two beautiful girls, the packer of lunches, overseer of homework, master of laundry stains, and daily runner of a gazillion errands. In addition to sitting on the LWSL Board of Directors and helping with bookkeeping, he is the one who keeps me balanced and sane, the one who has eased into this completely new role with grace and patience and an attention to detail that I have never managed to master. We would be lost without him.
- Natalie is our super-organized Operations Manager, and pretty much the other half of my brain. Or, as I like to call her, the Red Cross to my hurricane! She keeps my work life running smoothly, manages my email and my schedule and just generally keeps me from losing my mind. She handles all advertising & speaking requests, pays invoices, manages payroll, makes travel arrangements, helps research blog post topics, assists with social media, helps organize special events, giveaways, and projects, and all the other million ideas I come up with on a daily basis. She is also a huge source of encouragement and in general just a fun person to be around!
- Bree is our Lead Project Manager. She oversees all ongoing projects here at Living Well Spending Less, from product launches to books to website changes and email management. In other words, she is amazing! In addition to some creative design skills, she is also a Marketing whiz and is constantly coming up with unique ways to highlight all of the awesome stuff we do here at LWSL.
- Heather is our super awesome web designer. She keeps this site looking pretty and makes sure all the behind-the-scenes technical stuff that I don’t quite understand happens the way it is supposed to. She also helps manage the essential oils portion of our business.
- Andy is our ad network manager. He does all this crazy (in a good way) behind-the-scenes stuff to make sure all those not-so-pretty (but necessary for keeping this website afloat) ads are fully optimized. He totally rocks! Also, he and his wife recently paid off $123,000 in debt in five years and are now debt free. How cool is that?!
- Charles is our accountant and bookkeeper. He makes sure I’m not spending more than I earn and that all this confusing business, payroll, & tax stuff of mine that is required for running a business is on the up & up.
Family photo courtesy of Angela Clifton Photography in Tampa, Florida
Affiliate links may be used in this post. Printing a coupon or ordering a product through this link may result in a commission, which helps pay for the cost of running this site and keeps the content free. Read my full disclosure policy here.