Hi there, I’m Ruth!
This is what you need to know about me:
I am a recovering shopaholic. I am also a writer, photographer, entrepreneur, wannabe DiYer, semi-frazzled mom to two beautiful girls,wife to my wonderful husband of eight years, and above all, a child of a loving and gracious God who lifted me out of a life of depression and despair. My greatest passion is my family and creating a home filled with joy and purpose.
How It All Began…
I started writing Living Well Spending Less in 2010 because my spending habits had become so out-of-control that my marriage was literally on the brink of collapse. I desperately needed to find a way to hold myself accountable, and writing about my challenges with living well on a budget really helped.
Spending wildly wasn’t something I did intentionally, but the more I tried to fill my inner void with stuff, the more unsatisfied I felt.
But now, four years later, I have come to some important realizations. First, I’ve realized that I actually like saving money. Sticking to a budget forces me to tap into a creativity I never knew existed, and it is surprisingly fun and satisfying.
Second, and even more importantly, my definition of what “Living Well” means has changed. I’ve realized that all those things I thought I wanted and needed don’t really mean anything in the grand scheme of things, and a life well lived is not so much about what we have as who we are.
What It’s All About…
Living Well Spending Less is the chronicle of my adventure of finding the Good Life (on a budget). To me this means a life rich with faith, family, friends, & creativity, and I’m so glad you stopped by to join me on this journey.
If this is your first time visiting, I’d love for you to get to “know” me better. If you’ve got lots of time, start by reading my depression story, and then read why I took all my kids’ toys away or why I make my bed every day. That will pretty much bring you up to speed with where I’ve been, who I am, and how I tick.
Here at LWSL you will find a selection of posts as varied as my own interests. These are just a few of the topics I write about regularly:
- 31 Days of Living Well & Spending Zero
- Organizing & Decluttering
- Time Management
- Cleaning & Other Household Tips
- DiY Projects
- Budget Friendly Recipes
- Party Ideas
- Saving Money with Coupons
- Parenting & Other Thoughts on Life
What It’s Not About….
I don’t write specifically about the subject of blogging or how to start a blog here at LWSL, but I do love helping and mentoring other bloggers! If you are interested in learning more about how to start a blog or how to make money blogging, please check out my best-selling eBook, How to Blog for Profit (Without Selling Your Soul). You also can check out my other resources for bloggers, including my free printable blog planner and options for one-on-one blog consulting.
I’d love for you to join me on Facebook, either at the main Living Well Spending Less Page, where I share the latest posts from LWSL, or in the LWSL Private Facebook Group, where more than 6,000 readers gather to share money-saving tips, encouragement, and ideas. I also welcome you to follow me on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+ or Instagram. You can also email me at Ruth@LivingWellSpendingLess.com
Additionally, I appear regularly on SW Florida’s WINK News,write a bi-monthly column for Harbor Style Magazine, and am currently working on my next book, Living Well, Spending Less: 12 Secrets of the Good Life (Zondervan) which will be released in January, 2015.
If you are interested in having me speak at your next event, please check out my speaking page.
I’ve Got Great Support…
Over the past few years, this blog has blossomed beyond what I can manage all on my own, even as a full-time job. I’ve been very blessed with the support of some amazing people who work behind the scenes to keep this site running and still allow me enough time to write, create, cook, and keep my family a priority.
- Chuck is my amazing husband, the stay-at-home dad to our two beautiful girls, the packer of lunches, overseer of homework, master of laundry stains, and daily runner of a gazillion errands. He is the one who keeps me balanced and sane, the one who has eased into this completely new role with grace and patience and an attention to detail that I have never managed to master. We would be lost without him.
- Kalyn is my absolutely incredible executive assistant. In addition to running her own awesome blog called Creative Savings, she manages my email and my schedule and just generally keeps me from losing my mind. She also handles all advertising requests, pays invoices, manages payroll, makes travel arrangements, and helps organize special events, giveaways, and projects.
- Natalie is the newest member of my team! As an administrative assistant, she keeps my work life running smoothly, helping to research blog post topics, respond to emails, assist with social media, and moderate the private Living Well Spending Less Facebook groups. She is also a huge source of encouragement and in general just a fun person to be around!
- Heather is my super awesome web designer. She keeps this site looking pretty and makes sure all the behind-the-scenes technical stuff that I don’t quite understand happens the way it is supposed to. She also designs all my pretty buttons and series graphics.
- Coryn is my very talented Graphic Assistant. She does most of the photo editing here at Living Well Spending Less, and she also happens to be my niece! In addition to some mad design skills, she is also a pretty awesome soccer player–go Gamecocks!
- Andy is my ad network manager. He does all this crazy (in a good way) behind-the-scenes stuff to make sure all those not-so-pretty (but necessary for keeping this website afloat) ads are fully optimized. He totally rocks! Also, he and his wife just paid off $123,000 in debt in five years and are now debt free. How cool is that?!
- Charles is my accountant and bookkeeper. He makes sure I’m not spending more than I earn and that all this confusing business, payroll, & tax stuff of mine that is required for running a business is on the up & up.
All photos courtesy of Angela Clifton Photography in Tampa, Florida
Affiliate links may be used in this post. Printing a coupon or ordering a product through this link may result in a commission, which helps pay for the cost of running this site and keeps the content free. Read my full disclosure policy here.