A New Look, A Fresh Start

LWSL Button 2013

It’s March!  And is it just me or does something look a little different around here? :-)

I know change can be a little hard for some people, so hopefully no one will completely freak out on me, but after pondering it over for ages, I finally decided it was time for a new look and a fresh start.  It might seem trivial or superficial or even completely meaningless (at least so says my husband, who truly doesn’t understand the countless hours spent discussing every last detail with my super talented and incredibly patient blog designer, Heather.)

But here’s the thing: this blog is pretty much an extension of my own life.  What you see here is what you get.  Week after week I lay it all out, the good, the bad, & the sometimes painful.  There are so many times I just want to crawl under a rock and hide after pushing that big red “publish” button and never show my face here again.  But I keep coming back.  And amazingly enough, you do too.  You guys seriously rock!

I feel like this past year has been transformative in so many ways.  I’ve made some major changes and my priorities have shifted from wanting more of everything for less to simply wanting less.  Ultimately, I felt like the physical appearance of this blog had to match the changes in my heart.

LWSL facebook cover 2013

I wanted this space, my online home, to be a little cleaner, a little simpler, but mostly really, really well-organized.  I wanted it to reflect the things I am passionate about–saving money, keeping house, creating DiY projects, cooking yummy food, homeschooling my girls, and caring for my family–in a way that is easy to navigate and makes sense not only to me, but to those of you who read it, the wonderful people I welcome into my “home.”

I hope you’ll take a few moments to explore, and hopefully the shiny new navigation bar above will help you find anything specific you are looking for.  (Just keep in mind that there are a few pages that aren’t quite completed yet!)

And now, for some essential details:

thriftythursday_wide

• Beginning next Thursday, March 7th I will be hosting a new link party called Thrifty Thursday.  I hope all you bloggers will come link up your budget friendly crafts, recipes, household tips, & decorating ideas!  The party will go live each Thursday morning at 9am, and I’ll be featuring a few of my favorites every Sunday.  I need YOUR help to make this party happen, so please come and link up all the fun & thrifty stuff you are doing!
  • I’ll still be posting 3 times a week, on Monday, Wednesday, & Friday mornings (or at least trying to!)  I would absolutely love to start adding some amazing guest posts, so if you are a blogger (or even if you’re not but just like to write) and are interested in submitting an original guest post, please contact me at ruth@livingwellspendingless.com for guest post guidelines.
  • I have a growing obsession with Instagram, which is fast becoming my absolute favorite form of social media.  It is so simple and addictive and fun….seriously, genius!  I’d love to have you join me there–I’m @ruthsoukup.

So that’s it!  My big exciting news for the day and my early birthday present to myself…..and to you!  We will be tweaking some of the final design details over the next week or two, so please bear with me (or let me know) if something you are looking for isn’t quite available yet.  I truly hope you all enjoy the changes.  {And thank you Heather!}

I would love to hear your thoughts! What do you think of the new look?  Is it easier to find what you are looking for?  While we are still making the final changes, is there anything else you would like to see (or not see)?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

• Alisha March 1,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I truly love it — it’s clean and sophisticated and fresh… I loved your old design and never thought you needed a new look, but now that I see this one, it’s just perfect! It fits your blog so well. xo

• Ruth Soukup March 4,

Thanks Alisha! :-)

• Rosie March 1,

Loving the fab new look!

I am now going to have to make an effort to start my blog properly so I can join the thrifty party.

Rosie x

• Ruth Soukup March 4,

Yes you will! Thanks Rosie! :-)

• Victoria March 1,

Love the look and am excited about the changes. Just joined you on instagram.

• Ruth Soukup March 4,

Thanks Victoria!

• Denise March 1,

I really, really like the new changes! You just made my favorite blog even better! :-)

• Aimilee March 1,

It looks beautiful, Ruth! Happy Birthday Month to you! :-)

• jena green March 1,

Love it! Very FRESH! already follow u on fb & instagram YouTube, u name it! Your inspiration for me!

• Ruth Soukup March 4,

Aw, thank you Jena! You are so sweet!

• Lauren March 1,

I like everything except the ads, but I suppose those have to stay. It does seem a lot cleaner and easier to find stuff. Congrats!

• Melony March 1,

LOVE the new look!!! Still following daily! :)

• Ruth Soukup March 4,

Thank you Melony!

• Melissa March 1,

Love it! Happy Early Birthday!

• Penny March 1,

Hi Ruth, love your new website, can’t wait to see all you the new stuff coming.
    Hope you have a lovely birthday. Penny NZ

• Jeannine March 1,

I love a fresh start, and I love the idea of wanting to want less. Your place looks so pretty. I love the chalkboard graphics… and I love the idea of your linky party.

• Jess March 1,

The old look was awesome…but this new look is awesome-er! Love it! Happy birthmonth to you Ruth!!!

• Anonymous March 1,

Looks awesome!

• Claire @ A Little Claireification March 1,

Ruth I LOVE it! Heather is so awesome. This looks fantastic. So excited about Thrifty Thursdays too! Girl, you know I will guest post here. Email me if you have a free date in April.
    LOVE, love, love the site! And I’m coming up on two years of following you in a month! eeeek!
    XOXO,
    Claire

• Karen H. March 2,

Love the new look – especially the ‘chalkboard’ touches! And Happy Early Birthday:)

• Denise March 2,

Just found you on Top Mommy blogs. I never saw your old format, but this one is beautiful! I will definitely be joining your Thrifty Thursdays!! We Frugal Mommas have to stick together!

• Lorene March 2,

Love the new look! You’ve done a great job organizing all of the awesome content you have here!

Also, I just wanted to let you know that up top, your tagline (the adventure of finding the good life on a budget) is overlapping your social media buttons… I don’t think that is intentional? I thought maybe it was just my browser or something, but it is like that in all 4 browsers that I have installed (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE), so I thought I would say something just in case it is actually a glitch :) Other than that, everything looks perfect and amazing!

• Steph March 3,

I just signed up for Instagram and am following you. I have been meaning to do this for a while but you motivated me to just do it right now! I love the new look – very clean. I am not saying I didn’t like your other “look” but this IS just nice. Looking forward to seeing more posts too. :)

• your sis! March 4,

I know I know you are shocked to get a comment from me! :) I love your new look, I am all about simple and I think I will visit more because it is easier for me to follow! I just looked back on your post decorating on a budget and our time in South Carolina with Coryn , did it ever bring back a flood of memories! Can’t wait to see you all for spring break! Love, your sis

• nha sach March 27,

Don’t talk about “getting out of debt” when you really mean that you want “financial freedom. These books are presented in digital format that can be taken anywhere and can be accessed with a click. And that was when an elegant blonde from Germany crossed my path’.