Overnight French Toast {with Warm Maple Butter Syrup}

Overnight French Toast Square

I’ve made a version of this amazingly decadent french toast recipe for so many different gatherings–and shared it with so many of my friends over the years–that I honestly can’t believe I haven’t posted it here until now.  It is absolutely delicious yet super simple to make and practically fool-proof.

Best of all, it can be prepared the night before so that all you have to do is crumble on the streusel topping, pop it in the oven, and heat the syrup.  It is my number one go-to recipe for any big breakfast or brunch, and we will for sure be adding this one to our Easter Brunch menu this year!

Here is what you need:

Overnight French Toast Ingredients

Overnight French Toast
1 loaf day-old french bread, cut into 1/2″ slices
Cooking spray or softened butter
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups half & half
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch nutmeg
2 teaspoons vanilla

Streusel Topping
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 tbsp flour
3/4 cups chopped pecans (optional–my family doesn’t like it with nuts!)

Warm Maple Butter Syrup
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup real maple syrup

Overnight French Toast Recipe

Step 1:  Lay out the slices of bread to dry out for a few hours.  Grease casserole dish with cooking spray or butter; arrange bread slices in layers in dish.

Overnight French Toast 04

Step 2:  Beat eggs with wire whisk; add in half & half, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, & vanilla.  Whisk well until brown sugar is dissolved.

Overnight French Toast 06

Step 3:  Pour egg mixture over bread slices so that all slices are moist and well coated.  Cover the dish with saran wrap, making sure the saran wrap touches the wet slices.  Push down on saran wrap to further soak bread slices.  Place dish in refrigerator overnight.

Easy Overnight French Toast {with Warm Maple Butter Syrup} The BEST brunch recipe EVER!  Just whip up the night before and bake before serving! #brunch #recipe #breakfast

Step 4: The following morning, preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Make the streusel topping by combining softened butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, & nuts.  Sprinkle over french toast.  Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes until bread is puffy and top is golden brown.

Maple Butter Syrup

Step 5:  While french toast is baking, make the maple butter syrup by heating butter and syrup in a small saucepan over low heat until butter is melted and syrup is warm.  Remove french toast from oven; drizzle serve over individual plates of french toast.  Serve immediately.

Easy Overnight French Toast {with Warm Maple Butter Syrup}  The perfect brunch recipe--make the night before, then bake just before serving!  SO yummy! #brunch #recipe #breakfast

Overnight French Toast

*    *    *

What’s your favorite go-to brunch or breakfast recipe?

Pin It

• Aimilee March 4,

Oh my heavenly yumminess, this looks SOOOOO good! Can’t wait to try it!

• Ruth Soukup March 4,

LOL, let me know what you think! :-)

• Peggy March 4,

Oh this looks like a winner! Pinning now, can’t wait to try!

• Ruth Soukup March 4,

I’d love to hear what you think once you try it! :-)

• Denise March 4,

Yummy! Thanks Ruth!

• Kristi March 4,

Looks yummy! Bet my kids would love, love, love this! I’m a homemade sausage gravy with biscuits kind of girl myself!

• Ruth Soukup March 4,

Hmmmmm….I’m sure it is delicious if you eat meat but sausage gravy & biscuits have never quite done it for me. ;-) My husband would definitely choose that over the french toast though, so maybe I’ll have to get your recipe for him to try!

• Michelle March 4,

This looks incredible!

• Faith March 4,

This soulds delicious! I will have to try this soon! My favorite brunch recipe can be found here: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Amish-Breakfast-Casserole. I often substitute the back for pancetta. It is absolutley my favorite breakfast casserole!

• Ruth Soukup March 4,

That recipe sounds awesome Faith! Thanks for sharing!

• Taylor March 4,

I love this recipe! I use the one from twopeasandtheirpod.com. I have made it for my youth class at church – they loved it! Two Peas also has a baked pumpkin french toast recipe that I made for a ladies’ brunch I hosted. I used fresh pumpkin, and it was a.maz.ing!!!

• Ruth Soukup March 4,

That sounds SO good! I will have to check out their site!

• Taylor March 4,

PS::I love how you sliced the bread. I always cut mine into slices…I think I will slice it next time!

• Megan March 4,

Definitely bookmarking this recipe! I’m thinking of making these for breakfast tomorrow.

• KC @ genxfinance March 5,

OMG, that looks divine! yuM!

• Diana @ Moms Living Leaner March 7,

I should not have read this at 12:51pm when I have yet to eat lunch as I am now drooling. I will absolutely try this Saturday morning. thank you

• Ruth Soukup March 10,

Let me know how you like it Diana! :-)

• Kristen @ Joyfullythriving March 7,

What a great idea to use the mini bread slices! My Aunt Becky makes a similar overnight recipe (which I love and often make) but I never thought to use the smaller bread slices. Thanks, Ruth!

• Diana @ Moms Living Leaner March 14,

I just had to report back to let you know that this was a HUGE hit at my house. Thank you so very much for sharing the recipe…am going to share again on facebook! :)

• Alyce August 20,

Hey Ruth!
    Could whole milk be substituted for the 1/2 & 1/2? I would think it would be OK, but would love to know if you’ve tried it that way first.

• Jessica February 24,

Alyce I used whole milk and it was delicious! I did have to add in about 3 more eggs and extra milk plus spices because when I poured it out based on the measurements, I had dry slices. I did however use a larger pan than Ruth did. I used a 9 by 13 so next time I may try with my oval deep dish casserole.

• home additions April 29,

Superb blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers? I’m
    planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost
    on everything. Would you recommend starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for
    a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally confused ..
    Any recommendations? Cheers!

• Laura May 3,

This is a great recipe and I’ve made it a few times now.
    I add nuts, dried cranberries and diced apples too.
    It even gets better a few days after making it.
    It’s a winner!!

• cheap hotels in Moore May 6,

We are a group of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in
    our community. Your website provided us with useful information to work on.

You’ve done a formidable task and our entire community will be thankful to you.

• Sarah May 8,

I have a secret about keeping the cinnamon from clumping…before adding the ingredients, add the cinnamon with just a pinch of water and mix, then add the remaining ingredients. The cinnamon should incorporate much better now! Adding this to the grocery list!

• Kimberly Briskey June 16,

I tried this for Father’s Day . Oh my gosh, this is to die for !!! So rich and decadent, tastes like you slaved for hours, yet so simple. All my other (sweet) brunch recipes went into the trash. Thanks so sharing…. EVERY thing I’ve tried from your site is easy and raved about by my three boys and hubby ! Blessings to you :)