Salted Caramel Pretzel Crust Brownies

Salted Caramel Pretzel Crust Brownies.  Oh my goodness, these might be the best brownies on earth!  So easy to throw together using boxed brownie mix!  YUM!

It’s pretty hard to improve on brownies from a box.  I have tried making them from scratch more than once but quite frankly, for all that effort, they just don’t taste any better.  And let’s face it.  Brownies are goooood.

But do you know what can take brownies in a box from really yummy to so good they will make you cry?

Oh-so-easy homemade crockpot caramel and pretzels, my friend, and a few dark chocolate chips for good measure.

It’s a taste sensation.

Your mouth will thank you.  Your waistline will not. :-)

Salted Caramel Pretzel Crust Brownies

Here is what you need:

3 cups mini pretzels
4 tablespoons melted better
1 box brownie mix
2 eggs (per the box directions)
vegetable oil
water
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1 jar oh-so-easy crockpot caramel or store-bought caramel sauce
salt
cooking spray

SaltedCaramelPretzelBrownies02

Step 1:  Place pretzels in a gallon sized Ziploc bag and crush as finely as possible with rolling pin.

SaltedCaramelPretzelBrownies05

Step 2: Mix brownie mix with water, eggs, & oil per the box instructions.  Add dark chocolate chips.

SaltedCaramelPretzelBrownies03

Step 3: Spread pretzel crumbs out on bottom of  9×13″ baking pan.  Drizzle with butter and mix well until pretzels are coated, then press into a crust on bottom of pan.

SaltedCaramelPretzelBrownies06

Step 4:  Carefully pour brownie batter evenly over pretzels crust

SaltedCaramelPretzelBrownies08

Step 5:  Carefully drizzle caramel over brownie batter in zig-zag motion, as shown.

SaltedCaramelPretzelBrownies10

Step 6:  Pull a knife through the caramel in alternating directions to create a pretty pattern.  Sprinkle with salt.

SaltedCaramelPretzelBrownies11

Step 7:  Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 25 minutes.  (Check box directions for baking time.) Remove brownies from oven and let cool slightly.  While brownies are still warm, cut into squares with plastic knife.

SaltedCaramelPretzelBrownies12

Step 9:  Let cool completely, then serve.  Mmmmmmmmm…….

Are you a sweet and salty fan?  What’s your favorite brownie-in-a-box?

• Darcy September 18,

Yum!

• Aimilee September 18,

Wow those look really, really good! I love sweet & salty combinations!

• Kristen @ Joyfullythriving September 18,

Oh, I’m going to have to try these! I agree. I’ve made brownies from scratch but for the time and (minimal) money saved, I prefer the box brownie mix too. :-)

• Ruth Soukup September 20,

Let me know what you think Kristen! :-)

• Erika at endomental September 18,

This sounds amazing! A must-try.

• CJ September 21,

I have done the brownie/choc. chip cookie recipe but have never heard of this recipe before! A must try since I love salty and sweet desserts – thanks for sharing! Looks so good!

• claire @ the realistic nutritionist September 29,

These look INCREDIBLE.

• Mimi October 3,

These brownies look absolutely delicious! Thanks!

• Laurie October 27,

Im wondering if I could make these ahead of time and freeze them. Has anyone tried it?

• Vicky Davis November 3,

What size brownie mix are you using, I can’t tell by the picture?

• rima December 24,

these are very good. i did make my own brownies, the oil-based one from Americas test kitchen, Cooks Country, blasts EVERY boxed mix out of the water, so chocolatey, but with that great boxed brownie texture we all love

• Dawn January 18,

I love salted caramel everything so I can’t wait to try these. Have you ever tried Nigella Lawson’s brownie recipe? It’s pretty amazing and easy. I will definitely make this recipe with her brownie recipe.

• jennifer March 31,

I have made these several times. EVERYONE LOVES them!! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful and easy recipe.

• Brenda April 6,

Hi, I just made these, pulled them from the oven and waiting for them to cool. They smell wonderful but I noticed…the pretzel crust rose to the top? Did I do something wrong? Oh well, I’m sure they will still be good but just wondering if you have any insight into this :)

• Katie Adams April 13,

These brownies look delish! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. I am pinning!

• Kate April 29,

I haven’t been able to eat boxed brownies since I started making Epicurious’ “Best Cocoa Brownies”. Worlds away better than boxed, in my opinion.
    However, these look awesome, and I will definitely be trying them! Salt+caramel+chocolate.. there’s no way this can go wrong. :)

• Brigitte Dale July 1,

Thank you for this recipe! I’ll be making them for a BBQ on the $th of July! I looked all over online for a salted caramel pretzel brownie recipe and yours looked the best by far :) thank you from one Jesus-loving momma to another!
    -Brigitte