DIY Rainbow Garden Markers

Rainbow Garden Markers Square

My husband and I have been *trying* to grow a vegetable garden for almost four years now.  Suffice to say, in those four years we have learned that a.) gardening is not as easy as it looks and b.) that despite our best efforts, we are just not very good at it.  But we keep trying!  And this year, our little garden–at least parts of it–look like they might actually make it.

I can’t help but think these little rainbow garden markers have made all the difference.

Wishful thinking?

Perhaps.

Even so, they are super cute and make our still-somewhat-pitiful garden a little more fun to look at.  And since I already had all the supplies I needed on hand, they were more-or-less free to make. Works for me!

rainbowGarden01

Here is what you need:

paint stirrers (free at Home Depot!)
assorted acrylic paint
acrylic sealer
slick & puffy fabric paint
drop cloths or newspaper

rainbowGarden03

Step 1: Paint first side of stirring sticks in assorted colors, leaving the bottoms unfinished. Let dry.

rainbowGarden05

Step 2: Flip sticks and paint reverse sides.  Let dry.  Repeat steps 1 & 2 for a second coat.

rainbowGarden07

Step 3: Brush sealer onto one side; let dry.  Repeat for reverse side.

rainbowGarden08

Step 4: Carefully write names of herbs, flowers, fruits, or vegetables on each marker with fabric paint; let dry.  If desired, repeat on second side.

Garden 2

Place in your garden to mark your plants & you are good to go.

Garden 01

I made them for our vegetable garden, but I think they would also be super cute in herb pots or flower gardens as well!

Rainbow Garden Markers 2

Are you planning a garden this year?  What will you grow?  Got any great garden tips to share?  I’d love to hear them–we can use all the help we can get!

• Debbie March 31,

Ruth, These are very cute. If you have anything at home that can work as a trellis, put them by your cucumber plants.. they will vine upwards and will grow even better, it also helps the fruits as this way they are not laying on the ground to rot as they grow. I have been trellising mine for 3 years now and they respond so well! Good luck with the garden. I’m here in Chicago and can’t wait for us to have warm enough weather to start tilling up my dirt!

• Gabrielle March 31,

Wow, what a cute project! And cheap too! I will do that for sure, thank you for the tutorial!
    I was wondering if you used a specific kind of sealer and if the wood was affected by rain or humidity! Here in Canada, we can have lots of rain in the summer, and I would like to keep the markers for as long as possible.
    I have two tips for gardening: plant what works best for your soil (sandy soils are best for carrots and other root vegetables, heavy soils are perfect for squash, cucumbers, etc.) and rotate every year! My in-laws used to plant their vegetables in exactly the same spot every year, and when they did a rotation, they saw a huge difference!

• Sara @ Not Your Mainstream Mama March 31,

I would love a small garden myself. I’ve tried twice though and failed both times. I just want easy though. :) The only thing that always made it was my cucumbers, so I think I may try those some zucchini and tomatoes this year. Wish me luck!

• Paula March 31,

I’ll have to get making some of these wiht my boys. I’ve started them off with their own veg garden this year focusing on plants we can grow in pots so they can tend them easily themselves. They will have carrots, peas, runner beans, radishes, potatoes, mini cucumbers, tomatoes and some edible flowers all going well.
    I too will grow lots of different veg and try to start alot of them from seed myself. For a lot of plants I like to start them off in pots and get them well established before transplanting them to the garden. As others have said it’s important to pick plants that are suitable to your soil and the microclimate in your garden – sunny, shady, partial shade and to rotate plants every year.

• Cuero&Mør March 31,

Nice way to decorate the garden!! We wish we could have enough space and time for a garden…this is going to be one of our future projects!!

Today we have an special post! You should check out our new geometric colorful chair!!

• Marlin April 2,

I try to grow garden in our balcony using pot. I hope its work. I used to have garden in my back home and we grew corn, guava, banana, spinach miss that day. This is such a great idea with the sign and very colorful !!

• Kelley Quigley April 4,

Oh, now these are just adorable! I’m the girl who plants a huge garden and then forgets what kind of tomato is what every summer LOL. I might have to make some of these :)

• Shirl April 4,

great idea I always need garden markers

• Becky at Peace in the Pod April 4,

I have found that using raised bed gardening makes a huge difference in the quality and quantity of my produce. It is a little extra work in the beginning but makes gardening more efficient in the long run.

• Becky April 4,

Sorry, I forgot one thing. I noticed that you are growing lettuce. Here in PA, lettuce is more of a cool season crop. I’m not sure what your temperatures are like in FL right now, but if your lettuce has been one of the crops that doesn’t do well, you might try planting it a little earlier. Anyway, love your post!

• Ruth Soukup April 5,

Thanks for the tip Becky! We really have NO idea what we are doing! :-)